Go Bottom Go Bottom

Steering problem

View my Photos
sjben519
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-27          151727

My Belarus 250A has steering problem. I can turn steering wheel about 1-2 full circles before it moves tires. This happens in either direction. Lately it has seemed to be worse. At one point when I had front end in a bind I could turn wheel as many times as I liked and it never engaged. after backing off hill and taking preassure of of wheels it went back to somewhat manageable steer..At a loss, any suggestions on adjustments? Possible teeth broke, or is this turned by a worm screw?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Steering problem

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-27          151731

If your tractor has mechanical linkage, it could be something as simple as loss or even missing set screw. If it does not have mechanical linkage it would seem you are lossing pressure somewhere. If it has power steering have you check the fluid? I would try to have someone operate the steering wheel while parked and follow the linkage and see if you can see where it may be slipping. kt

Steering problem

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-27          151734

Concur. Gotta start by finding out if yours is manual steering or power assist. If power assist, is the a common pump for both rear lift and power steering? Or separate pumps?

//greg// ....

Steering problem

View my Photos
sjben519
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-27          151738

it is manual.....Would the set screw be in the steering box or out side??? ....

Steering problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-03-03          151866

I do not know this set up but look for a sheared key or such. If you can have someone just wiggle the stearing wheel while you follow the linkage I would think you would find where it stops working very quickly. kt ....

Steering problem

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-03-03          151867

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjben519 | view 151738
it is manual.....Would the set screw be in the steering box or out side???
Setscrews are typically external; look where the steering wheel attaches to the steering column, and then down where the steering column attaches to the steering box. In some cases, woodruff keys or clamps may be used - rather than set screws.

Then coming out of the steering box is the upper steering arm. It's typically connected to a long (steering) rod that goes forward to the lower steering arm which turns a steering bracket mounted on the front axle assembly. That bracket typically turns one wheel AND moves a tie rod, which then turns the other wheel in kind.

So. When you turn the steering wheel, does the upper steering arm move? the steering rod? the lower steering steering arm?

//greg// ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login