Go Bottom Go Bottom

What hydraulic oil for replacement

View my Photos
domogala
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-13          88431

I have a B2910 with 273 hours on it. I just purchased this tractor last week. Over this weekend, I installed a Woods BH7500 backhoe (just uploaded a pic of the complete setup). After cycling all of the cylinders in both directions the first time, the hydraulic fluid level is now low. I looked in the manual, and of course they say to use nothing but genuine Kubota fluid. The same fluid for the tractor hydraulics is used for the HST transmission. Does anyone have a non-Kubota fluid they've been using? Maybe ordinary Hydraulic oil? I would appreciate any details, names, types, etc...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Longhair
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-13          88434

Check into Amsoil synthetic hydraulic fluid.I notice a big differance in performance. ....

View my Photos
jarndt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-14          88451

There is a lot of debate on this topic. Do a search for UTD and you'll get an "earfull". IMHO, don't cheap out, just get the Kubota fluid. It is recommended by the mfr for a reason and in the grand scheme it really doesn't cost much more. You don't have to show up in person at dealership to get it either. Just have them ship some to your address. ....

View my Photos
domogala

2004-06-14          88454

jarndt, I should have poked around a bit before posting. I did run into quite an "earful" regarding the UDT fluid. Thanks for the heads up. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-06-14          88478

Do you know what brand of fluid the previous owner used?

I don't think mix and match is the best thing to do. Are the original factory filters still in place? (Bad).

Maybe for total peace of mind a clean slate... fresh fluid and new filters.... would be the way to go. ....

View my Photos
snmhanson

2004-06-14          88480

I just finished up my fifty hour service on my B7800 and went through the same thing. I initially got Deere fluid to put in it but after thinking about it a little decided to go on the hunt for Super UDT. Although I'm sure other fluids would work fine I went with what Kubota recommends for piece of mind. Particularly, if a warranty issue ever comes up I don't want the type of transmission fluid I used to be a potential point of contention (I've heard Kubota can be a little tough to deal with on warranty claims). After the warranty period I may switch to something else but until then I'm sticking with what they spec.

Matt ....

View my Photos
farmeron

2006-04-08          127404

I have a question . Where is the fluid level check located. I just bought an L3300. Last weekend did motor oil/filter change ( pretty dirty) and now want to change the hyd. oil / filter but cant find where to check for the full level. Ordered a manual but it is on the slow boat. Any help is appreciated ....

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-04-08          127406

I agree with snm, closet dealer to me also sells New Holland
he says thier oil is same as Kubota, probably gets kick back, I'd go with Kubota Oil, Cost about same and you don't have to worry if did right thing or not. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-08          127410

So many things here! Kubota is no different then any other company on warrantee's! I can tell you for a fact that the NH hydraulic oil is not the same as Kubota but their good oil is the same as the CaseIH! It doesn't work as well in Kubota's either. Deere's oil would not be either unless they have changed it. ....

View my Photos
jmfay1

2006-04-08          127412

The fill level can be seen on the rear of the tractor transmission. There is a clear plastic plug that lets you see the fill level for the tranny fluid. ....

View my Photos
farmeron

2006-04-08          127417

Thanks JM

I did see what looked to be a sight glass unfortunatly it is not clear anymore. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-09          127447

Having a 10-year career in writing automotive technical manuals such as Owners and Service for the Big 3 and others, if it is true that Kubota says you must buy their oil, that is a strict violation of the Federal Trade Act, and also they could be sued & fined by the US Postal Service if you found this info in something that was mailed to you (mail fraud) or travelled over state lines to get to you, or you found it on the Web (wire and/or internet fraud). They have to by federal law, state "or equivalent" and state what the equivalent is (specifations so that you find it elsewhere) or give at least two or three other competitor's brand names. The reason for this is prevent a mfg. from creating a monopoly where one should not exist, especially when a mfg. simply repackages another supplier's product but doesn't want to tell you it's just regular hydraulic fluid. I'm not sure if this applied to additives they may require which might be proprietary.

So what do you do? Call Kubota Customer Service and tell them you want the specifications so you find a substitute. If they resist, ask for the highest person in their Legal Department, not an college intern or lackie. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-10          127458

Earthwrks,
Interesting. Would parts be the same? How about filters?

Thanks ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-10          127501

Earthwrks I made no statements here saying that you couldn't run another brand oil. I in fact enjoy people who do! That keeps my shop running because it does take it's toll after a while and if it's a engine failure or a chassis failure that's fine!!!! We get to fix it! I here people raving about Shell Rotella for tractors and that is great because it was designed for engines that run at less then 50% of load and rpm both in the trucking and autos so I know it helps the tractor dealers in the long run. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-04-12          127590

Art,

Then what motor oil would you recommend for a Kubota? I don't remember any Kubota motor oil mentioned or seen in either of the two dealerships I have dealt with.

Based upon my experience it seems at least in our part of the world oil, both motor and hyd are displayed.

Thanks,

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-12          127592

OK Art. You have my attention.

All I have ever seen are the standard ratings like CD, CF or CG.

I posted the spec sheet on Rotella Synthetic a couple of weeks ago and the is no mention of any duty rating.

How do I tell from looking at the engine oil package if the oil is rated for 50 percent power or 100 percent?

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-12          127593

I second KT's request!

What DO the experts recommend we put into our beloved Kubota's? I think we've had that discussion before, but it's a good time for a review :) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-04-12          127604

Age old problems of trying to deciper what is what. I have seen the specs of the oils last about ten years ago but not to much has changed since. There was some oils from the major tractor companies that had specs that were good for cars except mildly higher ash content (causes burned valves)in gas engines but great for absorbing the partially burnt fuel of a improper burn on a diesel engine. These were about the same specs as the rotella oil although they do have higher grades that brings them up to the 1.2 or over for a good oil. Total base number should be over 10 for a good oil with 11 being better but not needing to exceed 12 which gets into train engine oil which normally is quite a bit more money then the discount house low priced oil. Deere has run two blends for a while and I only prefer their better one which is close to the Case-IH oil quality. Most oil companies offer several grades of diesel available from the distributers. I won't recommend other oil then what we've had good longevity from in engines and it does make a difference. When IH designed the oil for their engines they went 1500 hours on a gas engine with no oil change. With ash they burned valves at 1500 hours. For the diesels they had to add ash over available base oils to get to 3000 hours of continuous use. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-04-12          127632

Just to clarify: If an OEM says in their Owner's Manual "use only Kubota Engine Oil part number XXXXXX" they also have to state something like "or Shell Bla bla, or Mobil Bla bla" or "an equivalent 10W-30 engine oil". Otherwise the implication is that the Kubota oil is special when in reality it is not--just a repackaged oil from another maker.

As far as parts go, somehwere in the "fine legal print" in your warranty paperwork you will most likely find that if you use other than the OEM's parts you could void the warranty. In some case yu doin't have a choice to use OEM parts in obvious cases.

Case in point about repackaged parts (which is perfectly legal) I bought a fuel filter for my diesel Ram from the dealer. I then went to a local Cummins dealer and bought the same filter in the identical package---same plastic bag, instructions, filter and the box---only there was no Chrysler decal over the Cummins part number on the box. The Cummins part was 1/3 the cost. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login