Go Bottom Go Bottom

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-11          54651

I have 3 to 4 acres that I need to mow and the property on a fair grade, some small areas are as much as 35-40degree slope, most of it is 5-15degree. I am trying to decide if the BX1500 will be sufficient or if I need the 1800? I have planned to buy the BX1500 but am having second thoughts. What method would I use to make this decision other than asking the dealer if I could have a one cut try to make this decision (does this seem like a fair request?).
I am looking at the PH digger attachment and would be interested in any feedback on this unit in fairly rocky soil.

Also any thoughts on comparing the bx1500 to the JD X475 for this job?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-11          54653

Botaman, define mowing. Are we talking grasses and a mid mount mower? Or brush and a rear cutter?

My BX will run a PHD without any problem with lift and clearances, but I am guessing that with 10 or 12 pto horses and rocky soils you might be limited to a 6 inch auger.

I would check around the area and find out what size bits folks in your neighborhood are using and what horsepower they are running the PHD with. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-11          54665

Mark, yes thick grass with a belly mount 54 inch deck. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
kevinj54

2003-05-11          54670

Are you doing the job with Wheel Horse you have listed??? I have a BX-1500 and it so much more tractor than any 2 wheel garden tractor. It is not much different than the 1800, i do not mow much on incline though, what little I have is no problem. I can't help with the PHD but I think you will need a shorter auger due to 3PH lift height on the BX tractors. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-11          54682

The Wheel horse is definitely not up to the challenge of my hills and thick grass. Not sure what the auger length is and what diameter choices I have. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-12          54717

If I was buying a new tractor and a PHD I would have the dealer mount it and demonstrate it to me.

That way if it does not fit or function correctly it is his problem to tweak it, not yours.

That said, there are soils where nobody's PHD are going to work. You can't drill through rock. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-12          54749

Good suggestion on the PHD. I have already asked for a test on the mow on my hills prior to acceptance.

Does anyone know if you can get a PTO generator for the BX series? ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-12          54760

Yes. Deere now has a generator scaled to the 495/595 series tractor. I can dig up the part number for you if you are interested. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-12          54762

That's really good to know. Thanks. Any idea what the cost would be compared the stand alone units. I am looking at a 6500watt gasoline powered used generator. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-12          54763

I located a pto 7KW generator for $1156 at nooutage.com. Accepts 12-40hp. Requires 20hp for the full 7KW of power. Looks like a nice unit. I found a 15kw PTO unit for $1250 at americasgenerators.com. Would like to find a 6-7kw unit for under $1k. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-13          54774

I started out thinking that I didn't want to maintain a bunch of standalone small engine stuff but that's what I ended up with. We had two lengthy power failures last winter at night at below -0F. I was glad I didn't have to swap the snowblower and a pto generator in the cold and dark.

That's an argument for a standalone generator. However, I guess I do need to put a bit more time into maintaining it. The first failure was during -10F to -15F and the generator was unhappy with the idea of starting. Running it a few minutes a month and keeping 10W-30 oil in it didn't do the trick and I probably couldn't have started it without warming up the shed with a propane burner.

I wonder if the 20HP speced for the 7KW generator is engine or pto HP and I wonder if the 7KW is peak or continuous. 2HP/KW is a fairly common allowance for peak powers and 20HP for 7KW is a generous but probably desirable allowance. In theory, 1HP produces nearly 750W.

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
botaman

2003-05-22          55376

anyone have experience with using the PHD with the BX1500? ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-22          55390

That $1156 generator actually costs $1800 by the time you add three point lift, shipping and a drive shaft. Believe it or not, the JD unit is cheaper.

I have used a standard Cat 1 PHD with my BX22, it did fine. ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-23          55407

Mark, I'm curious if you mount your PHA with the pins in the high position to give the auger enough ground clearance and what sized auger it's designed for.

I think of PHA's in terms of the max diameter augers they are designed for. I have a 12" CAT I auger for my 24 HP Ford. I bought that instead of a 14" CAT I model thinking that the boom and shaft on the 12" may be shorter and I'd have less ground clearance problems. Besides, 24 hp wouldn't run a 14" auger very well.

I'm able to mount the auger in the middle of three pin positions on the boom but the auger point will drag when I drive over bumps. No problem really unless I'm backing up and there is enough clearance to start a hole on level ground. If I had a problem I always could use the upper pin mounting positions but I'd sacrifice some digging depth. In the centre mounting position, I can dig 4' and a bit more holes before the 3ph arms are on the ground.

I think BX's have less ground clearance than my Ford but perhaps CAT I augers smaller than my mine are on smaller frames or have shorter shafts. If so, they wouldn't have ground clearance problems but wouldn't dig as deep either without extensions. Anyway, it's a couple of things to consider when looking for an auger.

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-30          56028

If your going to keep the BX,,go with the 2200,,if you dont,the rest of your tractor life will be wishing for the better mower,,the BX2200 is a GREAT tractor,,the BX1500 is a "wanna-be" !!!!!!! ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
stumper

2003-08-31          62964

I purchased a BX1500 a couple of months ago.
This is for people worried about the 15 H.P.
As too was I when I bought the tractor.
I have found that this sucker will pull just about anything in the 4x4 low range. I cut a 30 foot tree whole, then hooked the Kubota to it and pulled it to the back of my property. (no kidding)
I was happy and amazed. As far as cutting grass, the Bx1500 does a fine job, a very smooth cut (54" deck) and I am cutting approx 5 hilly ac. The unit will cut heavy wet grass but you must run it at a reduced travel speed compared to the 18 or 22 h.p. Kubota. (It cuts normal dry grass up to 6" fine.)
All in all, for the money I couldn't be more pleased.
stumper ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
Glenn-D
Posts: 54 Westmont, Illinois, summer home in Mountain Home Ar.

2003-08-31          62972

Stumper,
your right, the 1500 is a heck of a machine. My neighbor has one and that is what sold me on the buying a Kubota. A few shy on the horses it is still a great machine.
Glenn ....

bx1500 questions

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-09-01          63037

Botaman,

Go to Home Depot. They have a Generac 7000 watt/12000 surge generator with electric start, pressured oil 14 hp engine, idle control, auto voltage regulator, super silent muffler and a wheeled carriage for 1100 bucks. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login