Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-04          146523

My 1997 Kubota B7300 HST tractor growls when it's in motion. Have checked fluids and all is fine. I service it myself as I'm many miles from a dealer.

Is this the nature of the beast or ????.

Oh, It seems to operate just fine.

But sometimes the growling gets worrysome, tiring, loud, curious.

I've had it about four years and use it for small little projects. Dig post holes, Fill in ditches, scoop snow, No mowing or tilling. Retirement toy, if you will......

Have always been a JD man so the Kubota is new to me and kind of backwards... gas and lift levers.... But I like it lots. So do my envious neighbors as it's like showroom new.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-04          146524

Banger,

Temperature swings (especially over a period of 10 years) can cause moisture condensation, which will eventually end up causing a fairly large amount of water to accumulate in your transmission housing. Even a small amount of moisture build-up will cause the problems you describe.

Being that your tractor is 10 years old, with only 110 hours on it, I'm wondering if you've ever changed the hydraulic fluid???

Most tractor manuals recommend changing the fluid every 600 hours. However, in your case ...... and in any case in which a tractor sees so little use.....I would suggest changing it far more often.

As a comparison, I put over 110 hours on my tractor just since May of this year.

It's highly likely, in your case, that the tractor just hasn't seen enough use to expel any moisture that's collected due to condensation.

I would suggest that you completely drain your fluid and replace the filter. (even though you're many hours away from the scheduled change) Also check your fluid screen to make sure it isn't partially blocked.

Tractors that see very little use can suffer from many different problems, such as dry seals, moisture accumulation in the fuel tank, low tire pressures, mouse nests in the air intake, etc. In fact, your tractor may require more maintenance than one that gets used heavily on a regular basis.

Joel ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger

2007-10-04          146525

Thanks Candoarms... I do LOF on it regular but the Hyd system. ????? If memory serves. Probably not.

I always check the level and sniff it, and it's so clear it's unreal... The moisture thing is something that never occurred to me. Makes sense...

10 years old,.... Zowie, it doesn't look that old! I know the fluid was changed at 90 hours by the dealership when I bought it about five years ago... guess it's time,eh?

"10 years old...How'd it get by so fast!" He mumbles as he ambles toward the shop with hands jammed behind the bib of his coveralls.

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-04          146526

Banger,

I can echo those same sentiments, I said to my wife, "probably should change the batteries on all of the smoke detectors, supposed to change them every year". I write the date on the batteries before I put them in so I know if they are due.

Turns out the date on batteries in the detectors was 2001 and 2002, we both turned to each other and wondered how that could be????? Time does fly!

Dennis

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-04          146527

Banger,

Tell me about it. I'm 46 years old and a grandfather of two, with two more in the oven. I don't know where the time went.

You mentioned that dirty word..... snow........ in your opening post. This tells me that you live in a place in which temperature swings, both above and below the dew point, probably occur quite frequently.

Sniffing the oil, or looking for any indication of moisture won't be of any benefit to you, since oil floats on top of any water that may be in the system. Any water will be at the bottom, where it can't be seen. However, it is a good idea to inspect the oil in this way, as you will be able to detect other problems before they cause a major malfunction.

Each Spring I drain off about two quarts of hydraulic fluid. Since water sinks to the bottom, this is the fastest and best way to remove any accumulated moisture, without having to drain and replace all of the oil. I park my tractor with the drain plug facing slightly downhill, then wait a full day before draining off any oil. This allows the moisture to pool up at the drain plug. I often see a small amount of water (about two tablespoons) in the pan when I'm done.

Joel ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-04          146529

Banger,

I subscribe to Brendan Casey's free monthly newsletter on hydraulic preventative maintenance. It's a very educational piece.

Here's an article written by Brendan Casey that you might want to read.

Click on the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Water in Hydraulic Oil.....How Much is Too Much?

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger

2007-10-04          146534

Smoley Hokes! Glad I'm not alone here... Good grief! I forgot those detector batteries too.

Yep! I'm up on the Canadian border in Central WA. Been retired here for Three plus years. Had property here most of 10 years but worked in Seattle area. We have four distinct seasons.

Say, I've got this spot bookmarked... but They want me to spend money to become a premium member. So whaddaya think? I've never paid for a forum before. It's a new concept to me.

Bout me sniffing oil. Dunno just got into the habit back when I had to buy used everything.

I've been pricing Hyd fluid. Yikes....! BTW. I called the Kubota dealer in Oliver, Canada and he said that I could use Tractor/Hyd fluid, available thru NAPA. So I ran over there and they looked it up. Said, "Yes YOu can." Any opinions?

Tell me more about seasonal draining off the water... You have my attention.

I also want to clean that strainer and change the filter. According to my owner's book I gather the filter and the strainer can be serviced w/o losing all the fluid. True???

Thanks for the great replies.

Banger.... Has to run, wife yelling lunch is about on. Bet that never happens to you all! ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-08          146630

Lets talk about your four seasons. I don't recommend people to go to NAPA for oils for hydro's unless they would like to meet my shop staff! NAPA's fluids are assembled thru Valvoline to NAPA's spec's! The hydraulic fluid he mentioned is about a 20 weight vs a 10 weight oil! What will help you the most at 0 degree's? I think we all know the answer to that question so the question to you would you want to listen to your hydro more or less, a oil that is blended to the tractor's needs or one trying to be good to many but not great for anyone? ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger

2007-10-08          146631

I'm wondering the Same thing? Why would a large dealership recommend NAPA? Or Bring it up?

In fairness they always try to help we U.S. Owners buy locally when they can. But On my side the Border Kubota is 110 miles away.

I'm only 16 miles from there and no problems with Border crossing. I'm going over for a look see at some front forks for my bucket. I'll talk with the Owner just to see where he is on the fluids matter.

Oh,, at zero deg. Me and my tractor stay inside! Too many years of having to be out there.

But I do get your point and am listenting.

Thanks for your input. ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-08          146634

Banger,

I'm guessing that you'll be using your tractor a whole lot more over the next ten years, than you did during the previous ten.

Even so, you probably won't be changing your fluid again anytime in the near future. If you divide the cost of even the most expensive hydraulic fluid by ten, you'll then have some idea of the average maintenance costs you incur per year. It's peanuts. It doesn't amount to much.

Therefore, I suggest buying only the very best fluids you can get your hands on......and to my knowledge, there is nothing better than Kubota's Super UDT hydraulic fluid.

When compared to other fluids, Super UDT fluid outperforms all of the others.

Joel

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger

2007-10-08          146638

Cost isn't real bad. NAPA is like $44 for five Gal.

Discount refurbished plain label fluid at the local discount store is like $50 for five Gal.

I will try to stay with the Kubota fluids unless the Kubota dealer gives me a heckuva good reason not to.

SERVICE INTERVALS:

In the book? Sometimes it takes me days to find the book. Long story short... Look for book. Find something else...forget about book....!!! Time Flies by:) ....

Kubota B7300 Hydro Noise

View my Photos
Banger

2007-10-08          146639

Hey Joel;

Won't be using it much more since I don't mow with it and only have the FEL,PHD,trailer,etc. Some times I drive it around to just..... drive it around, wash it and make sure all the wheels are there.

Then there is the snow thing when the road plow fills my drive way approach with about 3 feet of stuff or covers my mail box.

It's main use is to help the widows and the neighbors to move big flowerpots and stuff, too heavy for us ole fokes. Once in a while make a hole for a gate post or plant. It's been real handy to unload local deliveries from freight trucks. Neighbors appreciate I do it too.

And They love to watch it work...! I think some want to operate it,too. I restrict that to me and the Missus.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login