Go Bottom Go Bottom

Front mount a rear mount blower

View my Photos
Ross
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-31          12378

I just got off the phone with a rep from Morse and he said that I could make a speed reduction with a "gear belt". I'll let you know the cost of the reduction then the rest is pretty clear, no? I think that a rear mount is a pain in the neck and I'm gonna find a good way to mount one on the front that can be a universal fit on alot of tractors. I'll keep you posted please let me know if anyone is interested in this setup( a 2100RPM mid PTO to run a rear mount blower on the front).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-31          12386

I think you're trying to re-invent the wheel here. I have a 'hanging gear box' which was made by a local machine shop about 35 years ago, it mounts via the 3pth and the front 'bumper' (where the suitcase weights go) and allows you to run ANY conventional 3pth, 540rpm or 100rpm implements out front. They used to be VERY common around here before the advent of the mid-mount pto on tractors. Just look around the dealers that have a bunch of 'old junk' in inventory, they can be had for about $50 here.... ....

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger

2000-01-31          12389

Hi Murf: I assume that a shaft runs the length of your tractor and a PTO extrudes from the front? How about lifting and mounting to a 3PT implement on the front? Can you mount a blower in front using your rear-to-front PTO and lift the blower with loader arms (and weld brackets on the blower to attach)? I guess the linkage from the PTO to the implement is flexible so lowering and raising the blower is then possible...just like on the 3PT. As long as you don't lift to far, I guess you are OK. I guess you just need the rear to front shaft to be the right length to clear your tractor length. Seems like is has to be pretty close to perfect to get the linkage shaft and the loader mount working together. ....

View my Photos
CaseyR

2000-01-31          12401

Given the prices indicated for pulleys and belts in the thread on PTO generators, I would guess that you set up is not likely to be cheap. Given that 8hp Briggs and Stratton (or similar) engines are listed at Harbor Freight for around $329 (I think), I am wondering if it might not be feasible to just mount a new 8hp motor on the front mounted blower. Mine is a 48" unit that I want to mount on my Yanmar 155D and was supposed to be for a self propelled unit. Of course, mine came with belts and pulleys (but not the motor mounts) to drive it from such an engine. (Although I don't know what the original horsepower spec was.) ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-02-01          12419

The lack of detail was to try to keep space down, but here goes. The gearbox does have a splined output shaft forward facing (the gearbox also reverses the direction of drive so implements spin the proper direction). The actual gears are actually timing gears from a truck engine, two big ones are drive gears, one small one reverses the direction as an idler. The drive shaft is a slip-shaft so it is adjustable in length by about 3' in total. The lift arms of the 3pth have cables attached to them, through pulleys and a bracket (similar to a pickup's snow-plow mount) can raise and lower the implement on a front-mounted 3pth (about 18"). Loader mounting is possible, but only serves to place the implement MUCH farther forward than necessary creating manuevering problems (and sometimes balance/traction problems by unloading rear wheels). The entire assembly goes on and off in about 5 minutes once you have the 'hang of it'. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Greg Birky

2000-02-01          12422

Murf, it sounds like you could make some money finding these things and shipping them to those interested. I'd like to try something similar - although not quite the same. I'd like to mount a belly mower to a tractor for which one was never made. Without a mid-pto, the two options are power from the front with an electric clutch (very expensive and complicated) or power from the pto using a gear box of some sort and a pulley for a belt running forward to the mower.

For the gentleman wanting to mount the snow blower to his Yanmar 155D - have you visited the Yanmar Tractor Owners Group dicussion board on Yahoo? Check it out at the link I included. ....

Link:   Yanmar Tractor Owners Group

View my Photos
Art White

2000-02-01          12426

Yours is not new, we have been doing it for years on farm tractors the technolgy is already there. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-02-03          12478

Murf, it sounds like your machine shop of 35 years ago was a dandy. I don't know if there are many of that type still around. From your description it sounds like you have a front mounted 3 pt hitch that is operated via cables from the motion of the standard rear three point hitch. Is this the way it works? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2000-02-03          12488

Roger, you have it correct. On both counts. The cables are connected to the gear box which travels up & down on the lift arms, the upward motion shortens the effective length of the cables, which lifts the front-mounted implement through pulleys which increase the lift power but reduce the amount of lift to half that of the rear arms. ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-02-24          13132

I got a price of 350 for a gear box to do the reduction on the blower I think it is a good price but i need to sell a quite a few to get that price. Anyone interested in the box? this configuration would be lighter and more compact than a "drop box" If the ability to make it quick to hook up would be easyer on the front. My neighbor had a 1070 with a 7' Eriskine Blower on it worked very well but the pto stuck out the back quite a ways before it droped down to go to the front. ....

View my Photos
Jim Hardwick

2000-06-04          16898

2000-06-05

Just reading this thread and wondering if you folks would write in an update on what you did. I am about to get a NH utility tractor (looking at the TNF and TNS) and want to run a PTO driven vac with a mower (necessary for the vac pickup).

Thanks for any help,

Jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login