Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor size

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-31          72779

I noticed in looking at tractors that they seemed relatively small in size when sitting at the dealers. I remember sitting on a JD 4610 and thinking "now this is a real tractor, it would be a perfect size for me." When I tried the Kubota 3130 it actually seemed a bit small. Now that I'm parking the 3130 in the garage and driving between trees it seems much bigger and the JD would probably have been too big for most of my needs. I went with the smaller tractor mostly because of cost. I'm guessing it was the openness of the dealer lot or the bigger farm tractors nearby that caused this illusion.

Has anyone else noticed this and has anyone overbought because of it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor size

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-31          72786

My JD 4310 did look and feel smaller at the dealer than it does now in the garage. It also looks a lot bigger now that I replaced the R4s with R1s, which are 5 inches taller. At the dealer it's probably a matter of scale. The tractor appears small in comparison to the big iron and expansive sales lots. ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
dsg

2003-12-31          72789

I was happy to see that BIG JD4700 in my garage but it was a big difference in size compared to my 755 that I had just sold.

David ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
bnrhuffman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-31          72796

I thought exactly the same thing when I got my 3130 home and started using it in the trees and saw it sitting in the garage.
I had completely decided that I wanted a Kubota and had it narrowed between a 2910 and the 3130. There is a good bit of size diference between the two and I really wanted something between them but Kubota doesnt have anything to fill the gap. For just a few bucks (more like a few hundred) more, I decided to go a little big. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten the 2910 but the 3130 just seemed like a lot more tractor for the money ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-31          72802

While doing my research, I saw the 7800 and then the 3130 which are almost the same HP but two different classes of tractors. I went and looked at them and they both seemed to be sized ok, but I went for the 7800 after thinking about my needs. I'm glad I didn't go bigger because I think mowing would have been a nightmare with the bigger machine. The 7800 seemed like a toy beside the larger M series tractors but it takes up the entire 12 X 16 shed I have. It's sort of like going to the all you can eat buffet and filling up your plate. Your eyes are bigger than your stomach!!!! ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-01          72852

The B-7800-2910 chassis is smaller but nearly equal horsepower to the L-3130. The smaller more nible lighter chassis of the B-series in some places will out work it's bigger brother. The lighter chassis is also a little more economical to run and takes up a little less room in the garage. ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
bnrhuffman

2004-01-01          72872

I set a minimum of around 30 HP when I was shopping. For the dirt and loader work Ive been doing, most of the time Ive appriciated the extra weight of the 3130. Now that's coming to an end soon and Im doing more detailed work like raking and I'm thinking of mowing with it. Anyone want to trade a 2910 for my 3130.
A little off subject here but I had my rear tires filled when I bought it. When Im finished doing most of the heavy loader work with it and start doing finish work and mowing, can I have them emptied or is it a one way ticket once they have had calcium in them? ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-01          72876

You can have the tires emptied. To do it right you'll need the tires removed from the rims and everything needs to be flushed well. ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-01          72877

You might try to work a trade with somebody, or maybe even your dealer. I traded my R4s to my dealer for R1s and only paid labor, but they only had around 25 hrs on them. ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-02          72884

Mobile tire repair shops likely would pump them out, carry away the CACL and use it for somebody else. They'd do any clean up and flushing required as well. There would be a disposal problem for the CACL if you do it yourself. ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2004-01-02          72923

Tom:
what disposal problem would calcium chloride solution be?
jim ....

Tractor size

View my Photos
TomG

2004-01-02          72925

Jim: I guess with the amount of salt dumped on the highways for ice it'd be hard to make a case that it's an environmental problem, but could be some places. Well, our place and some neighbours did have government paid for drilled wells put in because the highway salt contaminated the surface water, but that's a lot more salt than a couple of tractor tires.

I was mostly thinking that it can't just be dumped on the ground if anything is expected to grow there. I don't know what municipal treatment officials would say but I'd don't think I'd want to put much of it into our septic or gray water systems so I'd probably be stuck with it.

Made a 'duh' comment in an earlier version. Talked about CACL for dust control. Nope, wrong CA. Wonder what I was thinking about? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login