Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dish Network third receiver hook-up

View my Photos
Mrwurm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-09          37227

I currently have Dish Network with a dual-lnb. I have two lines coming into the house and a
receiver hooked-up to each one. Here's the deal. I want to hook up 3 receivers. Some
installers tell me that I can buy and install an expensive ($150) splitter on one of the lines
and then hook-up and activate the other receiver. Dish Network claims that I must buy a
new dish with a quad-lnb. They say they have never heard of this high-tech splitter.

Funny thing is, I have friends who have Direct TV and the splitter is exactly how then get
up to four receivers all operating on different channels. They use a Terk Multiswitch
BMS-34, or Recoton Multiswitch DSV95A.

So, does anyone know if this high-tech splitter will work on Dish Network.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-10          37241

I haven't got an exact answer, but somehow I suspect that a new disk isn't required (at least for electronic reasons). I did have both a six channel passive splitter and an active splitter in the sound buz. I don't think of them as high tech, although they were designed for audio frequencies rather than RF.

Passive splitters really don't give something for nothing. The split output signals are attenuated when loaded. Passive splitters work because most pre-amps can accept a wide range of input signals. However, signals do become unstable if they're split too many times. Active splitters can adjust output signal levels, but their electronics add noise to the signal.

A simple y-connection in a wire also is a splitter, but y-connections have their limitations. The main purpose of splitters is to keep the impedance of the output signals the same as the input impedance. Splitters also reduce interaction among the output signals. With some types of pre-amps fed by a y-connection, high volume on one piece of equipment reduces volume on the others.

My equipment was pro audio stuff, which is expensive. $150 doesn’t buy much. However, I suppose it would be good to see the $150 gadget actually work before spending the money, and I can’t help there.

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-10          37244

Thanks Tom, the $150 price is the installed price. I have found that I can buy the same splitter from Best-Buy for $79. The good part is they say it's returnable. So, heres my plan: Buy the splitter. Temporarily hook up the splitter. Temporarily hook up the two receivers that I have to the split output. And finally, see if it works.

If this experiment fails: Return the splitter.

If this experiments succeeds: Buy a third receiver and activate it.

Jerry ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-10          37246

I'm not quite sure your experiment will give you an accurate result since the signal received by two recievers will be different than that you will get when the third one is added on to the system. However, having said (typed?) all that I have a DirecTV system with four receivers coming off one dual LNB using two $6.99 splitters from Radio Shack, while I normally only have one on at a time, sometimes have two one and the picture is no different than with only one on. I will, in the interest of science, put on all 4 tonite and see what happens. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-10          37248

Murf, that is amazing. Could it be that I do not need a high-tech splitter at all? Just the common variety. I await the results of your experiment.
Jerry

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-10          37250

The theory was explained to me as follows. Each receiver is designed to accept a varying signal strength, so that you always get optimum picture quality. When you increase the number of receivers, the signal is degraded slightly, but no more than a heavy cloud cover, rain, or your neighbors tree does to it. if you turn your dish slightly so that the signal level drops you still get a picture, signal degradation is the same regrdless of the cause. While you may lose picture during heavy storms, etc., it should work fine the rest of the time. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-11          37273

In the sound buz I've seen bar managers who wanted to convert their places into sports bars run a whole flock of TV's from bunches of cheapy splitters daisy-chained together. Many worked just fine while others had odd picture interference or hum in the sound. The problem systems likely had ground loops.

A rule in installing sound systems is that each piece of equipment should have one and only one path to the AC ground. Meeting the rule can become very complicated even when using pro audio equipment that has balanced input and output circuits. The trouble with most home equipment that uses unbalanced circuits is that the shielding in coax connects the AC grounds of all the equipment together, which provides multiple paths to ground. On some equipment, multiple paths already exist because both the neutral and ground terminals on AC plugs are separate paths to ground.

Different ground paths have different resistances, and current flow is established within the ground circuits. Ground loops overlay AC frequency on the signals, which produces interference and hum. Curing ground loops can be a problem, and many solutions are contrary to electrical codes. Some things I've done are connect everything to one power bar and remove the AC ground pins from all but one plug. I've also cut cable shielding to remove ground paths between equipment. Generally both shouldn't be done unless there is certainty that the chassis of every component does have an AC ground path and that codes are maintained

Anyway, these are some possible solutions if there are problems.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-04-11          37274

Hmmmmm!

I have directv and I have only one receiver on a single LNB dish, and I want to add a receiver for the kids, but I did not want to go up on the roof to put in a dual lnb dish. So this has me interested.

In data communications "Multiplexors" are used to take signals from multiple cable feeds and combine them into "one cable" but at different frequencies. You need two "muxes" one at each end to compress and decompress the signal.

I thought the expensive "multi" switch discussed here was doing that, so that in my example if I replaced the single LNB with a dual I could use the "multi" switch to "mux" the two signals into one, that way I could use the existing cable I have leading to my basement distribution point where I would "unmux" it and send it out to other.

What Murf is saying is interesting because it suggests you can skip the dual lnb step and the mux step, and run two receivers at the same time, with different content simultaneously. Awesome!

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-11          37279

And.....Murfs suggestion costs me nothing to try. I can take my two existing receivers and hook them up to one split output and see if it works.
Jerry

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-11          37282

It occurs to me that both Murf and I probably were thinking of analog cable or satellite signals. In such signals, all channels are contained on sub-bands in the signal. Each TV has it's own converter to select a particular channel. There's a good chance that digital signals and equipment work differently. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2002-04-11          37287

The key to this is that the splitter must be 'upstream' of the receiver, i.e. it has to be between the LNB and the receiver. At this point in the system the signal may as well be anolog since as a raw 'off-air' signal it is no different electrically than any other radio signal. ....

View my Photos
Doc Robbs

2002-04-14          37405

I Got a multi switch from my dealer. Costly at ~$150 but it works. It was the only method i found to work. It takes both feeds (2 per LNB) and then sorts them out and sends the right feed to the receiver depending what channel is selected.

This allows 3 LNB (Can use multiple dishes pointed to different sats) and allows 4 receivers to be hooked up to it. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2002-04-26          37843

Mrwurm,

Just curious as I have the a similar situation. What solution did you come up with? ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-04-26          37848

Well, this whole thing about getting a third receiver was my wife's idea. After I did all the research, she decided she did'nt want it. If you understand that, then please explain it to me.
Jerry

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login