Go Bottom Go Bottom

Jotul Oslo Cast Iron Wood Stove

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-27          146143

I have a Jotul Oslo Woodstove installed into a masonry fireplace. Here are the specs:

# Maximum heat output: 70,000 BTU/hr
# Heating capacity: Up to 2,000 sq.ft
# Overall efficiency: 72%
# Log length: 22"
# Burn time: Up to 9 hours

There are several things that I really like about this stove. First of all it has a side load door in addition to the front door. After you use this stove you will realize how important a side load is. It means that when you load the stove almost no ash will come out onto the hearth and that you don't have to worry about logs rolling out of front door only models.

Another great feature that applies to all stoves versus inserts is that if you need to clean you chimney fromt the bottom as I do ( I have a stainless steel liner in my masonry flue which is inaccessible from the top) you can use pro flex rods (flexible enough to bend in the limited space to the T)to clean it from the bottom simply by removing the T connector cap without having to move the stove.

This stove keeps our 2 story great room nice and warm, I have not gotten a ceiling fan yet but that would improve the heat distribution.

Dennis

Link:   Jotul Oslo

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
mobilus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-29          146244

My bother-in-law installed one in their old farmhouse (like yours, high ceilings) and they love it. I had never heard of the brand until he got one.

I guess you closed off the chimney, with the exception of the flue pipe hole? It is hard to tell in your picture.

I like the look you achieved. As one that grew up in a poor county in south Alabama, we had to rely on fireplaces. You could feel the draft sucking the warm air out of the room when you stood in front of a big fire. So a lot of fireplaces were closed off when wood stoves became popular in the 70s.

Have a great day.
Mark ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-09-29          146247

Mobilus,

That picture above is from the Jotul web site. They are a Norwegian company. Many years ago in my first house I was looking for wood stoves and at the time Jotul only made very small stoves, but beautiful ones, they had to take much smaller logs. So I bought a big steel Timberline wood stove.

Boy that Timberline could hold a lot of wood! Burn a lot of wood ;-)
It dawned on me that it is better to run a smaller stove hotter than a large stove cooler.

Some great features on stoves versus inserts is that I can put a stove thermometer on the stove top so I can see if I am running it in the right range, not too cool and not over firing it. It also gives me an idea of whether my wood is dry enough (seasoned and stored right).

The separate ash door is very handy too, I can quickly empty a pan on a running fire with no mess, and I can use it with caution to restart coals in the morning to kick things up quickly.

At the risk of repeating myself over and over on this I will say again that the separate side door is a must have, I did not realize how compelling that one feature is until I got it. I would never ever buy one without it. Complete show stopper!

The Glass stays very clean and while running shows great flame due the technology they use to re burn the fumes.

Here is pix of my stove, not so charming as the Jotul ad but love that stove.

Picture Link
Home Improvement Jotul Oslo Cast Iron Wood Stove

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login