Go Bottom Go Bottom

Recommended chipper for Grand L3130

View my Photos
J B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-24          48061

Art,
What manufactures and what models of chippers would you recommend for Kubota Grand L3130? I'm looking at chipping small hardwood, tops, and pine limbs. I have not yet purchased the tractor but I'm thinking about attempting to get everything at once if I can afford it. I have read about power feed but the expense will probably hit me here.
Yet, I thought you would have the experience at dealing with recommendations for this particular tractor. Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-24          48064

One of the weird things about PTO powered stuff is that it is often more expensive than free standing self powered equipment. This is especially true of chippers and generators.
You might find a better deal on a trailer mounted chipper that you can pull behind the tractor. ....

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-24          48067

I am not so sure of that Mark, Northern Tool has a 13KW PTO (requires 24 PTO hp)driven generator for 999.00 the comparable stand alone units cost close to 3 times that much. They have a 27KW PTO generator for 1999.00, they don't even offer a stand alone unit that big. On the chippers, I would guess they would cost more because they can do a lot more. I am not sure what a 30hp stand alone chipper would cost, but it would not be cheap as opposed to the 10 hp units commonly bought.
I think the price difference in PTO driven vs stand alone generators/chippers has to do with the capabilities of the units.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-24          48075

I figured it was a lack of mass production that drove the prices up.

Last time I looked that Northern generator was $1300, looks like they brought the price down. You still have to add the price of a driveline and a trailer or some sort of mounting platform and it takes a 30 horse tractor to run it. That leaves most of us out of the loop.
According to N.Tools website that generator, a trailer, the drive shaft and shipping comes to $1956.00

My point is that you can buy a lot of generator with an engine for the the same or less than just a PTO unit. Costco has a 6000 watt unit (all that most homeowners need)with a 14 horse engine for $1499 and that includes shipping.

Chippers :N/Tool has a three point/pto unit that handles 3 inch material for $1299. They also have a unit with a 10 horse engine that handles 4 inch material for $1469
I know a 10 horse engine has got to cost more than $170

BTW: The tractor dealer down the street also does Honda small engines, outboards, pumps, generators and such. He has a Northern generator in the shop now with a Honda engine and just a few hours of run time on it. Seems the coupling between the motor and the generator was poorly designed or poorly installed and came loose, and after flanging around it broke a piece off the engine block. The mechanic, who is used to working on Honda generators, is not impressed with the quality or the design.

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-01-24          48082

Mark,
I can't dispute the chipper issue with you, Not enough knowledge on the PTO chipper units, and they seem high to me too.
However If you have the tractor to handle it, I really like the PTO dirven generator Idea. Just make your generator trailer large enough to handle your AC powered welder and you have a portable welder :) I think I spent about 80.00 on the driveline and made the trailer myself (cheap). Mine is not the Northern unit so I cannot comment on the quallity of theirs. I bought my PTO generator used (cheap).

Also with the PTO driven generator It is one less engine to worry about keeping running. I always keep my tractors ready to use, but I seem to forget about the little generator sitting in the corner.

Just my opinion. I have been wrong before, at least once :)

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-25          48105

Yes, there is that maintenance thing. I almost certainly would have gotten my tractor started faster than I did my Honda 6500 (noted on another thread) and I can only blame myself the Honda's poor starting. Still, if I depended on the tractor I would have had to take the snowblower off to mount the generator and then either hook up a ground or try to bang a rod into the frost so I don't know which was faster. The next day, I'd have to take the generator off and remount the blower.

Here's my way of thinking about cost (no better than anybody else's way though). My impression is that box store stuff, including mail order tool houses sell 'consumer duty' stuff while PTO equipment is intended more for ag and commercial operations where the requirements are more extensive and that is why 3ph equipment is more expensive. Consumer grade stuff probably is appropriate for many people whose uses are infrequent and light-duty, and box store products probably will last indefinitely.

In terms of cost, a good measure is cost per year over the expected service life, and the service lift depends on how it's used. For ag uses, the annual costs of expensive equipment may be less than for consumer equipment used in the same application. There are generators and then there are generators, and the least expensive in part depends on how long it's going to last in it's particular application. I guess what complicates this idea is that there are now enough compact tractors to almost create a mass market. I think manufacturers are starting to make consumer grade equipment available in 3ph designs.

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-01-25          48110

I wish I could find a PTO unit that matched my PTO output. I still do not understand exactly how the power is regulated when you are using your tractor.
SlowRev, do you just set your generator to pto rpm's and forget it? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-26          48163

Mark: Most governors work by adding or reducing throttle in response to load changes to maintain the rpm set by the hand throttle.

There are various types but most mechanical ones make use of centrifugal force. They spin weights against spring tension. If rpm increases then throttle is reduced and added if rpm drops. Increasing the hand throttle adds to the spring tension so it takes higher rpm's to reduce throttle. It is more or less a continuous adjustment process as load changes.

In diesels, engine rpm is solely determined by the combination of fuel delivery and load. More load requires more fuel to maintain the same rpm. A governor works by moving the pump's throttle lever. In actuality, a governor controls the throttle and operator are sort of like second-fiddles. All us operators do is change the governor's spring tension.

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-02-24          77829

I have a Woods PTO Chipper/Shredder with a blower for the chips. Total cost less than $3000. I have used it behind a Kubota B6100E, 14hp gross. Had to limit the size and feed rate but it worked great. Would chew it up faster than we could cut it down. The Woods is designed for about 20hp as they use the same unit trailer mounted with a 22hp gas engine. An L3130 would handle it with no problem ( thinking of buying one myself). There are several other chippers that are almost identical except for paint and decals, I believe BEFCO for one. ....

View my Photos
texbaylea

2004-02-24          77830

Correction: BEFCO is not identical to the Woods. I saw an identical unit at my Kubota dealer and confused the name. My unit is a Woods 5000 for 15-30hp tractors and I recommend it unreservedly. Sorry for the goof ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login