Go Bottom Go Bottom

Stump grinding

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-22          37709

I would like to find a place that rents 3 point hitch stump grinders. I need to grind stumps that are mostly 6-12" pine with some hard wood. I have a JD990. Does anyone know whether certain brands are out there in the rental market and, if so, how I would find one in the Lebanon, NH area short of making a lot of phone calls. Already made a half dozen calls with no leads. Failing that, does anyone have suggested techniques for cutting stumps flush with the ground that doesn't ruin chain saw chains.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stump grinding

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-22          37721

After a windstorm a few years ago that took out perhaps a dozen of my trees consisting of white birch, maple and poplar, I rented a portable grinder for $100 a day. It about killed me to use it, but I managed to get the larger ones below grade. I had some pretty large stumps of hardwood. Pine should melt like butter with the thing. ....

Stump grinding

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-23          37732

Stumps always seem to be a problem. It might be worth getting the dozer guy to estimate a price, and then there's a comparison for all the trouble and aggravation of doing it yourself. At least around our place, I've yet to find anyplace that rents 3ph implements, so I wouldn't even start looking.

Anything below ground is going to go through chainsaw chain quickly--even if the stump was partially dug out. There’s still going to be dirt on the roots that probably couldn't even be washed off very well. Of course, chain sawing skidded logs goes through chains pretty fast too.

I might try to pull some of the stumps, but if they're already cut close to the ground they may not pull well. From some book-learning of mine, traditional pulling with horses sometimes used one tree for an anchor. A rope went from low around an anchor tree through a pulley on a harness fairly high on a stump and to the horses. The arrangement gives a steadier pull but no mechanical advantage. For larger stumps, I'd probably dig down with a backhoe on one side and cut major roots with an ax.

Stump grinding

View my Photos
scott955

2002-04-23          37751

My rental yard has a veermer 22hp all hydralic stump grinder. Rents for 170.00 a day realy eats the stumps but I'm in central Mo. it wont beat you up. ....

Stump grinding

View my Photos
Sim

2002-04-23          37754

Same thing as Scott955. Rented a Vermeer self propelled grinder for $175 per day (Middle Georgia). All hydraulic controls. Burns 5 gallons of gas per day and it won't wear you out. It does a great job to 12" below grade. BTW Southern Yellow Pine doesn't melt! But if you let the machine eat at it's own pace, it will do any stump going.

Stump grinding

View my Photos
fractal

2002-04-27          37877

How many stumps? How big?

I cut down several 3-inch citrus trees and it cost me 25 bucks to have a couple of guys dig them up so I could pull them out with the tractor. One guy kept going back and forth between the grinding wheel and the roots with the axe while the other dug with a shovel.

Somebody who knows what they are doing can take out stumps pretty fast with a back hoe if you have more that are bigger.

Don't get me wrong. I had some stumps ground last year. Most of them stayed dead. The fig didn't. I expect some settling as the roots rot on some of them. I may be wrong, but I prefer to dig out than to grind down. ....

Stump grinding

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-27          37882

I've never used a grinder, so maybe I don't know. However, I don't believe I'd get too serious about finding one for stumps I could pull fairly easily. I suppose grinding might be preferable on a lawn where digging and pulling would make a mess.

I guess there's a possibility that pulling the stumps isn't an option. I know my pulling ability is a bit limited due to my turf tires. The type of pine also is going to make a difference. Some species of pine have taproots, which are nearly a large as the trunk and go straight down. Trees with taproots can't be dug out and there aren’t major lateral roots that can be cut. Trying to pull them may need the traction of a dozer., and a grinder might be pretty good for such trees.

I took a quick tour through my tree book to read about pine root systems. If you're interested and name the species of pine, I'll post what my book says about the root systems.

Stump grinding

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-27          37891

Unless you have a backhoe, that method can be expensive and it does make a mess if the trees are large such as the ones I took out. The "portable" grinder I spoke of must have been the baby brother of the hydraulic model mentioned here. It was the only one I could find in the area to rent. It looked much like the old rear tyne roto tillers with the long raked back handles you still see occasionally. It required you to manually move the blade back and forth across the stump and you provided the down pressure. On the smaller, say 6" stumps it was quite easy to use. Where I encountered the problem was with several large hardwoods perhaps 18"-24" in diameter. I called the only two professional grinders listed in the area and neither one showed up to give me an estimate. I would definately use that method again, just not attempt as many in one day, I was able to grind them to below grade and with the exception of two of the larger trees, you wouldn't know they were ever there. Eventually I imagine some settling will occur due to rot, I keep a pile of topsoil out back for those minor annoyances. I am looking for one of those tow behind backhoes such as the one a friend of mine owned fifteen years ago. It had a gas engine and telescopic stabilizers you pinned into place. It even had a drive wheel to allow you to move it under it's own power. I used it a couple times to dig septic tanks in our old cottage track when we had problems. He used it to repair the water system there. When he passed the hoe went with some relatives and I never got a chance to buy it from the estate. It would be great for casual use and not beat the crap out of your tractor. The only thing I didn't care for was the control layout. They didn't follow any of the current standards such as four lever Ford, three lever Case or common Joystick design. Even with that machine, the large hardwood stumps would have been a mess and a chore to remove. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login