Go Bottom Go Bottom

Northern Tool 039s PTO Chipper

View my Photos
Dav8or
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-01          26166

Does anyone know anything about the PTO chipper Northern sells for around 1100. I'm between getting a PTO and a stand alone and I don't want to go much more than 1000. I've got a Kubota BX2200 and my needs are light duty, fallen limbs and pruning clippings.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Joe Timo

2001-09-06          31614

I do not have any info on the northern tool pto chipper. I do have a woods 5000 pto chipper which I have used with my b7300. Provided you have the horsepower it can chip branches up to 5". With the b7300 however I could not do larger than 3" softwood (poplar, pine, etc.)I have not tried It with my new B2400 yet. It can handle up to 30hp. I would be a bit cautious buying a machine like that mail order. The woods is a tough unit and I know where I can get parts which is very important for a hard working machine like a chipper/shredder. Bush Hog makes a similar unit. I've seen other postings on the subject here but most seem to discuss large expensive commercial units. This woods chipper weighs close to 600lbs so keep that in mind. I know it made my b7300 very light in the front even with 165lbs in front weights and filled front bar tires. ....

View my Photos
Norm

2001-09-06          31620

I have one. It's ok. You have to realize up front that this is an $1100 unit and not $8000. It will chip 1"-2" stuff pretty well, but slowly (larger than that I call firewood anyway). It will also shred twigs, leaves, and the like. It is a fine unit for general yard work. I have used it to clean up from large trees felled and it works, but very slowly. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-09-06          31621

I really considered a PTO driven chipper but one of the things that got to me was nearly $400.00 in shipping qouted by Northern Tool. Instead what caught my eye was a Troy bilt 10 horse unit at the local home improvement. It really works good and it cost less than $1000.00. The is nothing slow about the way this machine eats branches. It is too heavy to cart around by hand (200lbs) so I rigged up a way to carry it using a set of three point hitch forks. The forks cost around $100.00 so the whole package was considerably less than the unit offered by Northern. Nothern does list this Troybilt on their web site but you can get it factory direct from Troybilt and they include the shipping for less money than N. Tool. ....

View my Photos
Joe Timo

2001-09-06          31629

I forgot to mention the price on my woods 5000. It cost about $2500. ....

View my Photos
JimTN

2002-03-01          35972

You may have bought by now, but I just saw your post. I have a Troybilt chipper/shredder (8 HP) that we have used for yard clippings, small branches etc. for several years. We like the mulch we make better than what we have bought. It is fast with clippings and small branches fed through the top. It is OK, but slower with 2 - 3" limbs fed into the chipper. The machine is heavy and difficult to move through grass by one person. A trailer hitch / tongue was an option to use with lawn tractor and should work with your BX2200; or use a makeshift 3ph arrangement. Having a stand alone chipper/shredder leaves your tractor free to bring material to the chipper and take away the mulch. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login