Go Bottom Go Bottom

Bear Cat vs Valby chippers

View my Photos
Glenn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-24          19088

I am considering buying a 4 inch chipper for use with my John Deere Model 670 tractor (18 HP drawbar/16.5 HP PTO). I have narrowed choices down to the Bear Cat Model 73454 or the Valby Model CH140. However, I am perplexed. The Bear Cat has a 140 pound 20 inch disc which is belt driven at about 2,000 RPMs from a 540 RPM PTO. The Valby has a 220 pound 26 3/8 inch disc which is direct driven at the PTO speed of 540 RPM. The Valby seems to be bulletproof; however, even with it's greater weight and momentum, can it chip as well at 540 RPM without lugging down the tractor as the Bear Cat with it's lighter disc at 2,000 RPM? Also, do I need a belt drive to act as a shock absorber for the tractor? I really would appreciate help with this as either chipper would be a major investment and I don't want to do anything to damage the second love of my life (just in case you read this, dear).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rick

2000-08-24          19101

I hope I don't confuse more, however I was considering the same thing recently and after much study I bought a chipper on it's own trailer rated at 4-5" with a V-Twin 18 hp. It is a DR brand(country home products)My reasoning was; It is rated just as high as PTO model, it cost less approx.$2500.00 Idon't have to change attachments, frees up tractor. After my initial use of about 5 days heavy work it performed very well. Pine at 4-5" is no problem, gambrel oak over 3" is a chore. Good luck ....

View my Photos
RegL

2000-08-25          19126

Glen,I dont remember the model number,but last year i bought a bear cat 4 in. chipper.It was a manual feed and cost about 2800.It was ok for the price but manual feed is a pain.Either you have to push like heck to get the brush through or the blades grab it so fast that the tractor bogs down.I traded it after about two mounths for a Danuser 6" with mechanical feed.Cost about 4500.A lot less strain on me and the tractor.Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Glenn

2000-08-26          19134

Thanks for the info. I've never used a chipper before and anything you guys share with me is appreciated. The problem is that the darn things are so expensive. I was hoping to get by with a manual feed because a hydraulic or geared feed seems to add about $1,000 to the price. ....

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2000-08-26          19144

I have a PATU DC-40 (4 inch) direct drive manual feed that I run with my JD 750.
Manual feed can be something of a pain with brushy stuff, but the step up to power feed was too much for my wallet.

With the big flywheel, it does fine at 540 RPM, the tractor doesn't even know it's there, no matter what I stuff into it. There are two secrets to getting manual feed to work for you:

1. SHARP knives
2. Get the knife gap set properly. Too wide and it grabs the stick out of your hand and overloads the tractor. Too narrow and you get dust, not chips, and you have to push like billy-he!! to get it to feed.

Overall, I'm happy for the price.

Couple of comments on the trailer type: You get another engine to maintain, and that engine is (usually) not NEARLY as fuel efficient as the diesel in your compact tractor. Unless you do a LOT of chipping, mounting and dismounting the three point type is not that big a deal. ....

View my Photos
Glenn

2000-11-16          21547

Paul--Thanks for the information. I purchased a Model 140 Valby and have used it several times. I agree wholeheartedly with everything that you said. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login