Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire Chains for 4100 Turf tires

View my Photos
Mr Ed
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-15          47560

I recently needed to do some loader work in muddy conditions. I used the JD tire chains that I bought for my 4100 for the first time. They are the ladder type and are supposed to be correct for the tires on my tractor - turf tires. While the chains worked great while they stayed on, I found they kept coming loose.

No instructions came with the chains. I asked the dealer and he could not seem to comprehend the problem I was having.

Are there any tricks or tips when using the chains?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-15          47565

By coming loose do you mean the chains fall off the tire or that they develop slack and get floppy?
If they are getting slack you can get some chain tighteners- basically a big rubber band with hooks- or you can use bungee cords to tighten the chains to the tires. ....

View my Photos
Mr Ed

2003-01-16          47643

Mark:

They came loos and fell off the tire on one side, the other side I gues I had tight enough as it did not come off but it took several adjustments. The bungee cords sound like a good idea. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-17          47653

The automotive type chain tighteners I remember were bands with a set of hooks around the perimeter. The more hooks used the tighter they got.

I used to have bungee cords with hooks at the ends and sliding ones in the centre. I figure that this type might be easier to use. Just attach the middle hook and pull the end ones across the tire and hook them on. A cord would be tightest when the end hook are attached directly across the tire from the middle hook. There'd probably be less difficulty getting the right length cord than with typical bungee cords.

I haven't put chains completely on in years. I seem to remember that it's good to drive them for a few minutes and then retighten them. For some reason they never seem to go on tight to start. Same with trailer load tie-downs I guess.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login