Go Bottom Go Bottom

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
RON M
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-16          37507

I recently took off the rear right side wheel on my JD950 to sandblast and repaint the rim (with the tire on). Air filled new tire. When I took off the left side, I quickly noticed that it was liquid filled. As I stabilized the tire with my body (like trying to tackle a Dallas Cowboy lineman) and my heart started again,(I laugh about it now but it was not funny when it happened) I wondered if I should get the right side filled or if it was ok to have only one side filled. I do not currently have a front end loader but will get one in the future. I think when the previous owner purchased the tire he didn't know the other was filled. The dealer that he used should have told him, OR does it matter??? I know this might be in the "stupid question" arena, but should I fill the right side tire with liquid. Not sure if it is water and antifreeze or calc cl but it was sure was heavy. Thanks for any help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-17          37526

From somewhere I vaguely recall a valid reason for having one tire loaded. Maybe something to do with traditional plowing or perhaps an offset implement. For example, if weight is off-centre on the hitch, then one tire will have more traction, and most times the other tire would slip. In such a situation, loading the light side tire would tend to equalize traction and divide slippage across both sides of the differential.

It’s possible that somebody put on a new tire and forgot about loading, but most people would know if they have loaded tires unless they always check the pressures with the valve stems up. Could be that the tractor was just set up for a particular purpose. Tractors can be set up in seemingly ways that don’t seem to make any sense for particular reasons. I bought a used tractor and discovered that the loader float was on the curl rather than the lift. I eventually learned that tractors used in haying are sometimes set up like that because bale spears are used on the loader.

Having said that, I don't imagine that many people would have a reason to load only one tire, and there also would be drawbacks. Excessive wear on one side of the differential and reduced stability in some situations are examples. It almost certainly is a good idea to get them both loaded of both unloaded depending on the type of work for the tractor.

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-17          37528

I can't think of one good reason to only have one tire loaded on a tractor. I do get to see it from time to time and it goes back to one flat tire or another that was not done the same as it was before the flat. ....

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-04-17          37538

The only reason for having one tire loaded that I can think of is for the ditch mowers (extended arm mowers). Most of these come with some sort of ballast on the 3 pt hitch.
I was in this situation a while ago as the local tire dealers did not know how to fill the tire after removal, tube replacement, cleaning and painting. With the FEL you could tell immediately. Not a good feeling. It definately will do some damage over time as it puts the the tractor structure in asymetric imbalance. ....

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2002-04-17          37551

I have the answer!
You were duped into thinking you bought a 950. what you actually got was a Farmall CultiVision, either a A or B, mischieveously painted green! Just check whether your seat is off-center to the right of the center line -- if it is then you're the proud owner of one of these units with the operator position purposely set to one side so you can sight directly down to the ground. They have rear wheel hubs of different of different mass to offset the assymetry, but maybe yours has fluid in the right wheel to help balance the weight. glad to help. jim. ....

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
TomG

2002-04-18          37573

Seems the same question was posted on another board that I read occasionally. There was a response this morning that is the same as the reason I recalled. The person said that sometimes only the left tire was loaded on tractors used for moldboard plowing. He also said that he also sometimes hung additional weight on the left side.

I guess that's what I vaguely recalled hearing some year back. It seems to be a reason, but whether it's a valid reason, of course, is another question. I don't know the answer to that one.

BALLAST IN ONE TIRE ONLY

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-04-18          37577

I would not want only one tire filled if I mowed slopes. With only one tire filled, it shifts the center of gravity to one side. If that wheel is on the down hill side when mowing, it would make it easier to roll the tractor if the fill is above the axle center line. Food for thought. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login