Go Bottom Go Bottom

R1 Tires

View my Photos
Clemson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-17          35678

I am a complete Newbie to tractors. Can someone please explain tire nomenclature to me? My tractor has R1 13.6x28 tires. What does the R1 mean? I see people talking about R4 tires here, but the manual for my tractor does not list an R4 tire as an acceptable tire. What is all of this about?

Thanks,

Clemson

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R1 Tires

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-17          35681

Hello, Clemson.
R1 and R2 tires are generally called "Ag" or agricultural tires as on your tractor. They are considered the best when traction is the most important. R3 tires are turf tires, just like you'd see on a lawn tractor; around here, usually don't see them on anything bigger than a compact tractor or 8N-sized tractor. Usually used when minimizing ground damage is important. Also ride smooth. R4 tires are called industrial tires; they resemble ags but have wider, more shallow cross bars for treads. Most people consider them a compromise between ag and turf tires; less traction than ags, harder on the grass than turfs (or more traction than turfs, easier on the grass than ags). Tire choice is a hot topic on this board. Some people love the R4's, some hate them. I like mine because I mow my yard with my tractor and also use it in the woods a lot, the R4's are more rock/puncture resistant than turfs would be.

I would like to know what the actual nomenclature R1, R2, etc. means, if it means anything.

The link below is a good tire reference.

Hope it helps,
Bill ....

Link:   Titan tire reference

R1 Tires

View my Photos
RoyJackson

2002-02-18          35686

There ia also a bar-turf tire available.
These are somewhat more aggressive then turf tires. ....

R1 Tires

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-18          35689

R4's also give a rougher ride when roading a tractor and may have less traction on ice than R3's. My used tractor came with R3's. I have considered R4's as a compromise although there are some negatives.

My manual doesn't mention R4's. I think it’s a fairly new trend to put them on tractors. However, there is another issue for 4wd tractors. Tractors have large rear and small front wheels. As a consequence, the front and rear axle drive ratios are different so the front and rear wheels travel the same distance.

To maintain the correct drive ratio between axles, tires are sold in matched front and rear sets. The tire sets must have correct rolling circumferences to prevent axle windup, which can cause all sorts of undesirable things to happen. Tire diameter is a major part of rolling circumference but it's not the whole thing.

There's a good chance that R4's are not mentioned in manuals because nobody manufactured R4's in sets that were adequate for some 4wd tractor drive ratios. There probably is a wider selection of R4 sizes now. The Firestone site also has a lot of info about compact tractor tires. I can’t locate the address right now.

R1 Tires

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-02-18          35691

R1 and R2 normally take different rims than tne R3 and R4. ....

R1 Tires

View my Photos
TomG

2002-02-19          35716

Yes, on my 1710, the ags are on 24" and the turfs are on 16" wheels. The need for new wheels sure slowed down any thinking about changing tires that I've ever had.

Somebody mentioned bar turfs. There are other specialty tires such as flotation tires that I don't believe have 'R' designations.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login