Go Bottom Go Bottom

rear wheel width

View my Photos
Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-28          31352

A buddy of mine just took delivery of a new B7500 and noticed that the rear wheels are mounted in the middle of the range of possible widths. Is there a downside to moving them to the widest width possible? I know this would add stability and I couldn't give him any reasons not to do it. But if there really is no good reason not to mount them as wide as possible then why don't the dealers do it this way? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rear wheel width

View my Photos
kay

2001-08-28          31354

My guess would be that the dealer isn't the one going to use the tractor. Why go to the trouble of moving the rims to another position when he doesn't know what that position should be. Maybe the user wants it in the narrowest position. Why move them to the widest position if the attachments are not that wide? Why didn't your buddy ask the dealer to move them to the widest position? ....

rear wheel width

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-28          31355

We quite regularly float machines as around for my dealer, he leases a good many every year to golf courses and municipalities for the season, and since we have trucks and floats all over the place anyways it is a good deal for all involved. Having said that, I can tell you that if the wheels are set at the middle position or narrower these smaller machines will just fit side by side on a trailer, meaning you can put twice as many in one load, hence shipping is less. Thats not to say however, that the dealer shouldn't ask how you want it set up when they do the PDI on it. Best of luck. ....

rear wheel width

View my Photos
BillBass

2001-08-28          31368

Generally you like your implements to cover your tire tracks. The wider the tracks, the wider the implement must be. Take my 950 for example. Set at a middle position, outside to outside tire width is about 64". A 5' implement would not cover it, but a 5 1/2' or 6' would. This is especially important using cultivating implements such as a tiller, disk, etc. However, the wider the implement, the higher the cost. ....

rear wheel width

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-29          31394

I seem to recall my cousins setting rear wheel width for cultivating corn. The planter plants the rows at a set distance apart, and the tractor has to be able to drive between the rows for planting and cultivating. I don't think too many people here have that issue, so 'wide is good'. Some people who operate on side-hills swap the left and right wheels to make them even wider, but ag tires are directional and there is a traction issue.

My turf tires are several inches wider than ags and my 5' snow blower doesn't quite cover the tracks. It hasn't been a problem, but I would narrow the wheels a bit if it were easy on my 1710. The thing about wide implements, other than cost, is that they get the work done faster but take more power to run. My 6' box scraper may be a little much for the 24 PTO HP if I had ags rather than turfs, but even then I may still tend to run out of traction before running out of power. Never the less, power and traction problems are usually manageable by the operator--go slower, take smaller bites. I'd go for the extra stability of wider wheels most times.

rear wheel width

View my Photos
Mark

2001-08-29          31400

Thanks for all of the thoughts. It looks like I'm going to be helping him move the tires out to a wider position this weekend. Any thoughts or suggestions? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login