Go Bottom Go Bottom

disabled tractor driver enquiry

View my Photos
badgerfish
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-14          98362

Hi everybody, I am a UK smallholder (7 acres) with some lawn & a fairly large young woodland, with some muddy rutts etc on the land but no really steep slopes.

I also wear a prosthetic right leg, so a tractor with right side pedals is not ideal for me. Can anybody recommend a medium sized tractor with hand contols and/or left foot systems ?? I can get things like my car altered to left foot controls but this is always expensive and I assume tractors will be also. I will mainly use the tractor for lawn mowing, mobility & also boring/transport for young trees & anything else that comes up. thnx for any help. steve

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-14          98421

Most petals that are rockers can be duplicated in other areas including from side to side if not just a vertical lever. A good dealer would work you thru this with the proper adaptions. We have done some in house with help from the customers for reference. Murf, not long ago you were looking for some different type of project here you go! ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-15          98428

badgerfish; I don't personally know of a company who specializes, but I'll about guarntee someone on the board has, so I'm sure others will speak up. I've saw tractors, combines, cars, and pickups that have been adapted to a handicaped persons needs. I'm sure the auto and truck changes were made by a firm who specializes in that sort of thing, but the tractor and combine modifications I've seem were done by the dealer, owner of the machine, or a weld shop of the owners choice. I've saw a combine with a custom built elevator to lift a wheelchair bound person up to the cab door, also tractor cab elevators, and all sorts of custom fashoned levers to make operating the controls easier. So like Art said work with your dealer who can either do these things or recommend a welder with the skills to do the job for you. Far as one brand tractor being easier to modify than another, I would'nt even want to guess on that part but I'm sure there will be diferences between brands that could make adaptations easier. The best ot luck to you, Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-10-15          98434

Steve, as Art mentioned he & chatted of this very thing last year. I have modified tractors and other equipment for 'non-standard' operation, but mostly for specialized uses, remote control, for mining or forestry uses for example.

Basically, any Hydro-statically driven tractor is very easy to modify and use this way.Any competent fabrication or machine shop should be able to quite easily do the work.

In some cases it is remarkably easy to do. Certain makes & models the control is via a push/pull cable assembly which can merely be re-routed to suit.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to make contact.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-10-18          98624

I'll design and build devices for you. Tell me what tractor you are purchasing and I'll work with my local dealers to get dimensions, etc. I have John Deere, Case/IH, Cub Cadet, Kubota and Mahindra dealers close to me that I would work with.

Do you also need a lift to get up into the tractor? Are you going to have a loader and/or other devices? Are you going with gear or hydro? The cost will depend on what model you get. Shipping to the UK will be about US$75.00. I'm guessing the product at being less than US$300.00. If it is a conventional hydro, hand brake levers can replace the brake pedals. As for an example. The normal toggle of going forward and backward with ankle movement could be changed to right/left knee motion. Engineering will be free. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2004-10-18          98684

yooperpete, You should be commended on your offer to help.
it is sometimes difficult to get things modified for someone that is physically challenged.

Thank you,
David ....

View my Photos
TomRoberts

2004-11-07          99982

Check out the link below, and the "Agrability" project web sites.There are many but, most will lead you to very helpfull information, with a little research on your part. There are sites for most states and some colleges. There is quite a lot of information duplication but I think that you will find some help. The site below is for a company based in your country I think. Good luck. ....

Link:   Hydraulic clutch

View my Photos
grassgod

2005-01-05          103582

wouldnt a GST be easier & cheaper to modify? All you have to work on is the brake. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login