Go Bottom Go Bottom

B7300 TO WEAK

View my Photos
Joe Timo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-21          29506

I Currently have a Kubota B7300 with a 60 inch bellymount mower. I have 50 acres about 6 of which is lawn area which I mow. The remaining property is being made into hiking and mountain bike trails. I have found that the 7300 seems a bit weak for the foothills area I live in. It really bogs on uphill mowing. I had planned to get a loader for It but fear I will be even more disappointed with the horsepower problem. I have been reading alot in this forum and it seems as though for the money the Kubota 2910 may be what I need to move up to. I really don't want to go that much bigger than the 7300 or My trails will becom highways. I have been cutting trails using a 4 foot box blade. It takes a while. I work around trees larger than 3" but would like to have the weight and power to dislodge the 3" stumps and brush clusters a little more easily. Any thoughts on this 7300 to 2910 upgrade would be greatly appreciated. Joe Timo

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B7300 TO WEAK

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-22          29512

Joe you should at least be looking at a B-7500 with the power steering for use with a loader. The horsepower use would depend on your hills that you are talking about that you have your low power problem with. Have you tried climbing them in low range? That will definitly give you a power boost. To go to the B-2910 you would have to get some new implements to cover the additional width of the tractor. To cover the 50 acres well it could be a good choice but there are two tractors before you get to that size and they might well get you over your hurdle. ....

B7300 TO WEAK

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-22          29517

Joe, the main factor you have to build in to your calculations is the power to weight ratio. I have seen many people get a 'big' machne figuring they would have 'big' power only to learn that the 'big' machine also weighs a lot (more so with a loader) and so it takes a lot more energy just to push the tractor itself up the hill. Also, very important is Art's comment about implement size, if you went any larger than you would need at a least 5' blade to cover your wheel track, while this doe not sound like much more it is in reality a 25% increase, this again would eat up a lot more energy. Based on many years experience, IMHO, I think you should just bear in mind the limits of your equipment and try working from the high points down hill, not from the bottom up. This sounds like a ridiculously simple solution it is, this is how we work everyday (we build golf courses, etc.) in making cart paths, etc. It actually is easy to do once you get the hang of it. Best of luck. ....

B7300 TO WEAK

View my Photos
Joe Timo

2001-06-22          29521

Thanks for the comments Art and Murf. Perhaps I should elaborate. firstly the property is very hilly, some hills are 30 degree slopes. With the property being wooded nothing short of being dropped in by helicopter would get me to the top of some of the hills first.I meant to say the B7300 is whoafully underpowered for its mass. It even bogs while mowing uphill in low range. I really dont have time to mow 6 acres at 2-3MPH. I doubt the few horses that the 7500 has would really make any significant difference. I've got 200+ hours on the B7300 and it always seems to come up short. I cant even haul the box blade filled with gravel up my 1300' long driveway!! I fear a move to the 2410 may not be enough. I seem to have bought the wrong tractor once and certainly can't afford to do it twice. If I could just get 10 or so more horses out of the 7300 It would be perfect. Help! JOE ....

B7300 TO WEAK

View my Photos
Joe Timo

2001-06-22          29523

PS. Meant to say 20 degree slopes, It seems most of the mowing area has between 10 and 20 degree slopes. Joe ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login