Go Bottom Go Bottom

Starting landscape business need help

View my Photos
Craig Hill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-21          22699

What should a guy start a landscape business with? Tractor wise I need to be able to trailor it with a 1/2 ton truck. Need to buy a trailor also. I want to have a loader then a variety of attachments for 3pt hitch. What are going rates for the Midwest? Just a guy trying to make a buck or two.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-21          22701

Craig, as someone with only about 20 years experience at this I would be only too happy to help out. I do however think it would be a little 'wordy' for this forum, maybe you should e-mail me directly. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lsheaffer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-21          22707

I'd recommend a used grey market Yanmar around 20hp with 4wd. YM16xxD through YM18xxD models. They are alot cheaper than new. Good parts availability. Parts are reasonably priced compared to most other brands. Compact size. If you want more power larger sizes are available. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-12-22          22711

Let me give you one piece of advise. I have owned about every type of trailer there is for hauling trailers. This summer I purchased a Hydratilt trailer by H&H Trailer. This unit is one of the best investments for time and labor savings I have made in many years. The unit i purchased was a 10400 lbs. trailer with a push button hydralic. It cost me $3800, and without a doubt saved me at least this much in time. There is no messing with ramps, as the trailer tilts. It is very well made, sturdy without question. The convienence of being able to up and down the thing is unbelievable. Check out this trailer at www.hhtrailer.com I am not afilliated with the company, i just own one and love it. good luck on your endevor. by the way this trailer is made in souther iowa, so your midwest area is a plus. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2000-12-22          22717

Craig, I carry on the forty plus years of family tradition landscaping started by my dad and his brothers. I have a full-time engineering job with an aerospace contractor, I landscape "part-time". Sometimes "part-time" means thirty hours a week in addition to the day job. Most of what I know comes from the family business, the rest I learned from a variety of sources including; a gradfather who owned a successful dairy farm, a mother who is an artist, and college. The single most important advice I can give you is this: know what you want to do, learn as much as you can about it, and put limits on yourself to start. What machine and trailer to buy at this point depends on what you want to do. My specialty is Japanese style gardening and I am expanding into small garden pools. I own modest equipment, well maintained and I'm insured to the limit. To work in my state you require a license, you probably do too, and you should be at least a Limited Liability Company (LLC). I was tempted to get into all kinds of landscape related areas like lawn care (mowing and leaves), lawn installation, stone and retaining walls (hardscape), etc. But activities like these are best left to the guys who have big resources, big staffs, big overhead, and in some cases, big headaches. You may also find that you can make some good money by doing work for the big guys who have overbooked their resources. At any rate, start-up doesn't need to be painfull. You just need to be realistic about your capabilities and hang in there for the long haul! If you want the specifics on machines and trailer, drop me an e-mail and we'll talk. ....

View my Photos
Kevin in KS

2001-01-08          23220

Craig, I've grown up in the landscape business and have seen guys come and go. They have new fancy equipment, and a nice new truck, a couple years later it's all for sale. My advice is to buy used equipment at auction if possible and upgrade as money permits. This is not a get rich quick business but it is a very fun and enjoyable business for me and my father. Email me for more advice if you need it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login