Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD790 compared to NH and Kubota

View my Photos
Chris Rutherford
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-07          22224

I've been using an old family 1949 TE20 ferguson to mow my 15 acre farm for a few years now and am tired of the constant maintenance required. After looking at this board for a while and study on my own I have decided to purchase a new tractor this spring. The JD 790 seems to be the machine I need to bushhog, boxblade, etc. with and the 70 loader would come in handy. My question is this. What are the comparable models to the 790 in blue and orange as far as HP, capabilities, size, price, etc. I have several options on good dealers for each brand all within 30 miles, so that is no problem. P.S. for all you guys up north that have to plow snow, Good Luck. I have to resharpen mower blades due to fire ant mounds all summer.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rich Allen

2000-12-08          22235

I looked at this machine and felt it was too small and underpowered (check the 3pt lift capacity) for my brush hog. (I have a heavy duty 6' machine). I finally bought a Kub. L3000dt. So far, I have hoged twice with no problems and done some loader work. The hydrostat version of this machine (L3010?) may be easier to use for the loader work but I am dammed scared of the this technology. (too many questions and problems reported on the boards for my liking). The hydro issue is a personal preference for me and may in fact be ok in the long run. The hydro I think is closer to the JD4xxx models and may not be a issue for you. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Kevin K

2000-12-08          22238

I think I made a good choice with my 790, so far no problems and the quality is great. I dont think you will find any other 30 HP tractor for the price. I was a little concerned with the 3 point lift capacity, but found the implements I use (and plan to use) are lighter that the maximum lift capacity of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-08          22242

Take a look at the L-3000 which is a little more tractor or the L-2600. ....

View my Photos
Rob

2000-12-08          22245

I got my 790 this past fall after quite a bit of research. It seemed to offer the best bang for the buck and I haven't been dissappointed one bit. I was concerned about lift capacity but it works fine with my 5' cutter and a friends 7 1/2' disc. The disc is a lot heavier than my cutter. I like the 790 ergonomics better than other "economy" tractors I looked at. Hope this helps, Rob ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-12-08          22254

Take your time and find the one that you like the best. Drive them all, if you haven't driven a hydro, I would make that a priority since hydro and mowing go hand in hand. IMHO of course, variable speed, reverse all in one pedal/foot. I think your first sentence says it all for what you would like. Find the brand with the least amount of problems that fits your budget and needs. Good luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login