Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Chris A.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-31          21066

I am planning on buying compact diesel tractor this spring My main concern is buying the right size machine for my needs.I plan to use the machine for loader work,grading,post hole digging and rototilling.The dealer does not recommend the use of a post hole digger on a 4100. Would a 4200 be a better choice? This will be my first compact tractor purchase and I want to hopefully make the right choice! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. t

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-10-31          21080

Chris, I'm not sure what you mean by not using a post hole digger on a 4100. Sure JD doesn't make one as part of their standard attachments, but then again JD really doesn't make many attachments compared to the open market. I have a 4100, but not a post hole digger. BUT I have found that any implement rated for the HP of the tractor (20 HP, PTO HP 17) will work well on the 4100, as it also would on any tractor matched to the proper HP range. I once had an inexperianced salesman tell me that the 4100 wasn't recommended for use with a rear grader blade. Of course this is nonsense. Turned out that what he was talking about was that the JD blade was not recommended (since they only offer a 7' model and that would be too large). I bought a Landpride 5' blade and couldn't be happier with the performance. See if you can find out what he was referring to -maybe they only sell the diggers designed for higher HP ratings. That doesn't mean that another manufactorer doesn't sell one. I think that I have seen several diggers on 20 HP sized tractors. ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
mike dewald

2000-11-01          21127

Chris, I have used a post-hole digger many times on small compact tractors. I have used as small as a kubota B7100 (approx 17hp) without significant trouble. Post hole diggers generally run a low RPM but power did not seem to be a problem. The key is go slow and raise the lift arms if digging to quickly. Occassionally, the kubota did not have enough lifting force to raise the digger if going in to fast. In these cases it would usually lift if I rocked the tractor slightly back and forth. The JD4100 has much more lifting ability than my kubota 7100. My biggest problem is usually getting the digger to go into hard or dry soil - occassionally needed to add weight to the post hole digger. I would not have any reservations about using a 9 inch digger on a JD4100. ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
JonB

2000-11-03          21181

Chris A., I've a 4100 with a Bush Hog post-hole digger, 12" auger. I drilled 70+ holes this year, and will dig another 50+ this spring. It works great but has limitations. My soil is rock hard in summer, so I can't drill unless the ground is damp. It only digs 4 feet deep. And I can't drill through hard pan -- only BIG MACHINES go through this hard pan--machines lots bigger than a 4200. But the 4200 wouldn't drill my soil in summer either (IMO). I recommend you keep researching the issue of how big you should buy. Bigger is usually better, although in my case I decided the 4100 is just right. The larger machines would be too heavy for my soil when it gets wet. Best of luck. JonB ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Eric D.

2001-01-25          23690

Chris, I have a 4100 but have never had a post hole digger attached to it. I can tell you that I have drilled several 12" holes with my neighbors 4200. One feature the 4200 has the 4100 doesn't is a PTO clutch. It makes it very nice when drilling your holes nice and slow. Another thing to consider is the height of the tractor. His third link on the 4200 has a 3 position height adjustment when attaching tall attachments. When the 3rd link is placed in it's highest position and the lift arms are lifted all the way up, the bottom of the auger is only couple of inches off the ground. I know if I attached it on my 4100 the auger would drag the ground when moving from hole to hole.
I don't know if that would be a big deal. I guess my oppinion is I think if my main purpose is to drill holes the clutch on the 4200 is very nice, but if your going to use your tractor for other purposes the 4100 is a great choice. ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Todd

2001-01-26          23702

Hi Chris,
I'll never disparage John Deere's, in fact I bought stock in the company, which made buying my Kubota tough. But given the two tractors you are looking at, if you like the size of the 4100 and want a little more power and a clutch, you might consider looking at the Kubota B2710 and 2910 like I did. They are sized in between the two JD's, although closer to the 4100 in weight. The 2710 cost a touch more than the 4100, mine was $150 more with a FEL and 60"mid mount mower. The 2910 is probably about the same price as the 4200. The engines HP's are 27 and 30, with 20 at the PTO on the B2710. Both 4 cylinder engines.
I bought the Kubota 2710 because I thought is was more tractor for the money than the 4100 (which I loved). The 4200 was too heavy for the wet areas of my property, and I really thought it was underpowered for its weight given our Vermont hills. The suspension seat on the 4200 is nicer than my 2710's, but the same as the 2910, which is really a luxury 2710 with 3 more horsepower. Same frame, tilt steering wheel, suspension seat, and a hand lever for the hydro-pedal.
If you have to have green, go Deere, but if you don't mind orange and have a good local dealer, check out the orange. Between Deere, New Holland, and Kubota, there are a lot of great tractor choices. Good luck to you.
Todd

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Todd

2001-01-26          23704

Hey Chris,

One thing I forgot to mention. The downside to my Kubota is getting on and off. I always snag my shorts in the summer or my coat in the winter on the 3pt hitch or 4wd levers on the right, or the mid pto lever on the left. It's never the FEL lever like I thought it would be when I bought it.
I'm only 5'9", 150lbs, so if you're a big guy and going to be climbing on and off a bunch, you'll want to consider this. I'm told the New Holland Boomers have the best ergonomics of any of the compact tractors.

Todd ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Rod

2001-01-26          23717

Chris,
I've got a NH TC18. Last summer I used a 24" auger on a post hole digger to dig post holes for my deck. It handled it quite easily as long as I didn't try to go to fast. Except of course for the rocks. Which given the size of the rocks, any size tractor would have had problems, or else broke off the shear pin. ....

John Deere 4100

View my Photos
Jim Reichard

2001-01-26          23718

Hi Chris! I was wondering if you had considered the John Deere 790 ? Its just a hair bit bigger in fiscal size than the 4100, But has 30 motor HP and 25 PTO HP.It is a stick and not a hydro drive but is avalible in 4 wd and power steering for $10,995 . Its front end loader the model 70 lifts more than the loader of the 4100 and I think the 3 point hitch has more lift too! I bought mine a few months ago and LOVE IT! I have the 70 loader and 7 backhoe . When the backhoe is off I drag a 6' grader blade with ease, or drive a JD 506 bushhog. I also have a John deere 950 which is about the fiscal size of the 990 and the 4600 except it only has 27 pto HP . The 790 gives me the power of the 950 . and the handling of a compact. It's GREAT! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login