Go Bottom Go Bottom

help for a novice

View my Photos
wine0P
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-03-30          161536

Here's the deal...Have 13 acres in nc. some areas are quite steep but can be bushed. I will need to maintain a long drive which is gravel. I will be planting 2-3 acres of grapes along with 1-2 acres of vegetables. Some wooded areas need to be logged and cut and I wil be continuing to build my home.
I'm looking for a bit of help in regards to tractors. I'm new at this and have been reading this forum to get a handel on things. Can any of you give me a direction in regards to size, make, implements, and other stuff that will help me out getting started on the right foot....Thanks from a retired teacher.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

help for a novice

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-30          161543

Can you tell this retired teacher not so much what you plan to do but what you plan to do with the tractor? For the gravel you'd need a low-cost rear grading blade (or you could get a fancier midmount or a tow-behind grader to do a better and easier job).

But for the rest, if you plan to do your own logging and house-foundation excavating, you'd want more tractor than for say rototilling and lawn mowing. And nothing's better for a novice than a nearby dealer who services what you have.

help for a novice

View my Photos
wine0P

2009-03-30          161545

Foundation is in and the logging will be for fire wood. Think I need more than just lawn mowing and tilling but not sure. Have lived om 7 acres in Fl for 20 yeras and have maintained with HIgh end lawn tractors. The site in nc is much more of a challenge. Thanks for the dealer advice. I know that will be the next step.
Any more info will be greatly appreciated

help for a novice

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-03-30          161554

I'd suggest 4WD, 20-30HP, turf tires with liquid in rears. Front loader very handy but costly, should be already installed. Decide what attachments you'll want besides mower and blade. Brand not so important; depends on dealer. ....

help for a novice

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-03-31          161562

Like Auer said, get with a good LOCAL mainline dealer, Deere, Ford/NH/CaseIH who will be around when you need service and parts. Tell him/her what you need or want to acomplish. The reason I stress local is they will be there to take the heat or thanks which ever occurs for their advise on your purchase. ....

help for a novice

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-03-31          161569

I like to think that there's no such thing as a "lemon" tractor, but I've read of major structural and electrical problems with some New Hollands. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login