Go Bottom Go Bottom

Kubota Keys being sold on E-bay

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69836

I look at E-bay from time-to-time and was surprised to come across this ad for Kubota compact tractors keys. Seller claims they fit many of Kubota's tractors. How unique are keys for a given tractor? If this is real (what next?), I guess it's time to buy a "Denver boot" for our tractors, eh?

Link:   Kubota keys for sale

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-28          69840

The tractors have keys that are by size group today. The L-s take one and the B-s take another. M-s take another one yet. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-29          69915

I'm not sure there's any more than one key for mid-80's Ford either so it's not a new thing.

Keys are probably intended more to keep kids from playing than to prevent theft. A thief isn't likely to start one and drive it away because they don't go very fast and would be pretty noticeable. I imagine most stolen ones go into enclosed trailers.

When I leave mine at our camp (ten miles down the highway) I chain it around the rear axle to 3/8" transport chain that's wrapped around a buried 12" x 12. I figure I'm not going to defeat any thief that's organized enough to get a trailer into a meadow and have a chain cutter big enough to cut the chain. Nobody's going to pull or dig the timber out with the tractor sitting on top of it. The arrangement is good enough for my insurance.

So Denver still uses those things--wonder if they're still yellow? I remember seeing one laying in the street not long after they first were used and wondered how it got there. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-01          70036

We have been lucky so far, but not all my colleagues and friends have been so lucky.

The Parks Dept. of a Town just down the road from me had a break-in at their equipment yard two years ago. The crooks obviously new what was there and what it was worth. They just cut the gate open and hooked up to 4 trailers loaded with 2 Kubota 4wd front-mounts and various other items and drove them away.

A friend lost a JD compact out of his driveway in the middle of the night, his dog never even barked, a nieghbour who saw it happen stopped to ask the thief, who was driving a tilt-bed tow truck, what he was doing was told that it was being repossesed. The nieghbour said nothing until they saw a police car in the driveway the next morning.

Sad but true. Most equipment of this nature has a 'universal key' type of setup.

As the old saying goes however, "Locks are for honest people only, they don't stop thieves.".

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
sbremm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-03          78691

Like was already said, many Manufacturers use one key for all machines. I work for an excavating company and on my key ring I have a Cat key, a Deere key, and a Komatsu key. They each use 1 key for all their equipment. It is nice in some ways, but also kind of scary that anyone could get a key and steal a very expensive piece of equipment.

Stephen ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-03-07          79135

I had a set of master keys. I worked for free at a construction company just to get to drive equipment. My boss gave them to me a going away present when my family moved from MA to MD. I had 40 keys on a 3" ring. I could go any where and borrow a machine. I had keys that fit cat to deere to case to Komatsu to bobcat to lawnmowers to golf carts to etc. I had them in a drawer in my room. One of the W#$%^&* movers stole them. I am in the process of get a new set. The keys range from $1 to $20 a piece. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-03-07          79147

It appears to be something that carries over to alot years. My Boss has a JD 4100 series that is a couple years old. He went to pick up his tractor at the dealer. ( He drives it there and back it is only a mile away ) on his way out he saw a new 4115 with a front snow blower and thought " that looks interesting, I wonder? So he stopped his tractor. Took the key and hopped on the 4115. It started right up and he played with the snow blower a little and then hopped back off and back on his and drove home. The dealer never even came out to see what was going on. Guess it is a good thing that he is honest. It made me nervous though and I leave mine in the garage and the truck outside locked up. Until I get the barn built with locks on the doors. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-03-15          79988

NH does what Kubota does as far one key for each series of tractors----I was kinda shocked when I learned that my $40,000 skidloader can be had with $3 key anybody can buy at the dealer. Turns out NH skidloaders are just like NH tractors when it comes to keys. The good thing with the skidloaders is you can key-in a digital pass code. I guess that's why I have to pay $1000 a year to insure the skidloader. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login