Go Bottom Go Bottom

Full Bucket

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-25          97201

A neighbor ask me to take down 4 trees of course I wanted to get a headstart on next years firewood!!
Dean

Full Kobota bucket!

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Full Bucket

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-25          97204

This is the last pic of the last one being transported!!
Dean

Link:   

Click Here

Full Bucket

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-09-25          97207

Nice deal Archdean! Looks like nice wood. I have too much firewood. My wife makes me cut and stack it - then she says it can't be burned when its too cold cause it lets to much heat up the chimney. But that's when you would want a nice warm fire - isn't it? ....

Full Bucket

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-26          97219

Crunch: Your wife might be right depending on the chimney. Some liners intended for oil or gas won't take the heat from wood. Of course I don't imagine that's exactly where your wife is coming from but who knows?

We just had a stainless steel liner installed for our oil furnace chimney since the old poured one was deteriorated and didn't extend very far down the chimney. The instructions proudly proclaimed a life-time warranty and then went on to say 'provided the chimney is cleaned once a year.' Once a year for an oil burner chimney--does anybody know what is actually required? ....

Full Bucket

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-09-26          97222

Tom, we have one of those prefab metal fireplaces with a stainless steel stack enclosed in a wooden chimney (pic 2). It came with the house, I would have gone for brick. It seems to work pretty well and has glass doors and a fan to blow the heat into the house. You are just limited in the length of log you can burn in one of these.

I never heard of anyone cleaning a stack meant for oil. Sounds like the manufacturer is trying to protect itself. ....

Full Bucket

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-27          97248

Crunch: Thanks for the reply. I've never heard of cleaning an oil burner chimney either--especially not annually.

We had one of those stainless chimneys too w/o an enclosure. It probably was a homegrown installation and not properly done--inadequate support of the base so the weight tore the t-section. The top-section apparently keep blowing off in storms and was left off and without a cap since new owners didn't use the basement wood stove. Weather and no cleaning apparently deteriorated the liner and the inspection/cleaner guy said he could clean it but it wouldn't pass inspection. Given replacement costs, it was goodbye wood stove, but life with the insurance company probably was easier--if that's possible.

Yours likely was properly done. The best thing I can say for ours is that it provided a convenient hole in the foundation when we installed a heat exchanger. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login