Go Bottom Go Bottom

Battery problems on TC40D

View my Photos
Robert
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-09-24          31978

I just got my tractor back from the dealership for repairs.I'm curious if any other TC 35-45 owners have had this problem. The battery on my tractor was emitting gases, vapors, (or whatever the caustic substance is that batteries emit) that was causing corrosion to my radiator, hose ends, and the mounting hardware for both radiators. Apparently the fan was pulling the gases through the radiator. My dealer said they called New Holland but NH said it wasn't a big enough problem (even though they were aware of it) to issue a recall. My dealer squared me away. New battery with drain tubes, replaced some hoses, repainted some parts. If you own one do yourself a favor and check it out under the hood. First tell-tale sign will we the foam padding below the radiator being eaten away.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
RickB.

2001-09-24          31989

This is a common problem for a large group of NH compacts. The solution is to siphon off enough battery electrolyte to eliminate the overfull condition that is the cause of the problem. Simple, but no one knows why so many batteries were overfilled to begin with. ....

View my Photos
Jim Jones

2001-09-24          31995

FYI - Just got my TC40D and the battery is a New Holland maintenance free battery. I don't see anywhere to drain off fluid or even look at fluids in battery. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-09-25          31999

There was some very good information about batteries in a thread several months ago. I believe it was Peters who provided some very good information about different types of batteries and specs. An earlier thread contained discussions about rad corrosion and leaking batteries on some JD models. ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-09-25          32010

Robert, thanks for the info, I noticed that on my tractor (TC40D) also. I'm gonna be checking into that! ....

View my Photos
Robert

2001-09-27          32063

Mark,I noticed your message on another post about the foam padding coming out from under the radiator. I thought that may have been the problem. The padding on my tractor had dissolved (literally) to almost nothing. My dealer replaced everything and put a DEKA battery with a drain hose to vent the battery. Severla of the rental tractors on his his lot were also having the same problem. he was glad that it was brought to his attention. ....

View my Photos
Quentin

2002-05-27          39098

Had battery problem on TC40D. Fan on tractor engine pulls vapor and also battery water from battery if climbing a hill. Original battery had vents aimed at radiator and oil cooler. Had a new style battery installed by dealer with vents facing the front of tractor instead of radiator. Had this problem a year ago and reported it to New Holland. They also replaced all parts attacked by the battery acid. Have had no problem after battery change. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login