Go Bottom Go Bottom

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
n88wrl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94192

I actually did a search this time...

I've been playing with the Kubota LA513 loader on my L3130 and it is painfully obvious to me that proper loader operation is a learned skill. I've just been playing around in an unobtrusive part of my property trying to get the hang of moving stuff around, light digging, etc. Can anyone recommend resources for learning proper loader techniques? I've got a note into my local technical college which offers 'heavy equipment training'. That might be overkill - any books/videos to recommend?

Thanks!

-Brian

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-08-23          94194

Brian' First read you owners manual cover to cover and DO follow the safety guides in the book. Please fasten your seatbelt if your tractor has a ROPS bar. In the real world experience is by far your best teacher, go at it slow and be patient you'll catch on quicker than you think. Best of luck. Frank ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-08-23          94200

Make sure you use ballast of some kind, weather it’s the ballast weight box or simply an implement. Counter weight will keep you from doing a noise dive! ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
oneace

2004-08-23          94225

Your best teacher is going to be your ops manual and your self. It is not too difficult but like every thing else practice makes perfect. Sounds to me that you are going about it the right way. It will not take too long and you will have the hang of it. I do not think you will need to go to a training course but if you feel it will help you than go for it. Good luck. ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-24          94280

Go easy when digging. Loaders aren't a poor man's dozer. Hit something with the bucket angled fully down and it's easy to break things. In float the bucket can dig in and jackknife the loader frame. Potential there for breaking things as well. ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-08-24          94289

I really appreciate everyone's input. According to neighbors, my pasture used to be fairly dense woods cleared twenty or thirty years ago. The good timber was hauled off or sold, and the rest was either piled in the far-back or buried in various spots. Now I've got 'sink holes' and other undulations. Also lots of buried stumps. This is making bush hogging challenging, so I thought I'd try to even some of it out. I picked an inconspicuous place to practice and made quite a mess. I guess I just need to keep at it!

Thanks everyone!

-Brian ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-08-24          94290

n88, The job you've picked for your first loader work sounds like it would be very difficult for even an experienced operator (and might be more suited for a dozer).

Isn't there a nice loose pile of dirt around that you can move to get your confidence up? :-)
Dave ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
n88wrl

2004-08-24          94291

:)

I do have compost piles to move, I guess I'll start there. I even wondered if a box scraper was a better choice for the job. Realistically, I could use a ton of new topsoil in several places.

Thanks for the tip!

-Brian ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
Iowafun

2004-08-24          94309

I got my first tractor with an FEL 2 years ago. I started by scooping up dirt from the garden plot. It had been turned over by a neighbor with a plow so it was reasonably easy to play and scoop. I then practiced placement by making a flower bed. You can also practice using snow. But that may not work for you considering it was 75 degrees in Charleston when I moved from SC in December of '97. ....

FEL Lessons

View my Photos
TomG

2004-08-25          94397

I do use my scraper for shallow excavations and for turning compost. I also spread the last load of gravel almost entirely with the scraper (I do have a hydraulic top-link). The loader gets used as well but the scraper does most of the work. I go back and forth between them. Most people develop their own style and ways of doing things after some practice and you'll likely have yours as well. However, scrapers may take longer to get the hang of than loaders. Almost everybody mucks up a few practice areas. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login