Go Bottom Go Bottom

Installing Dual action cylinders to get down pressure

View my Photos
suckowe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-04          70281

A friend of mine has a 1970 Ford 3000 with a loader. It is a real rugger loader (fasco brand or something that sounds like that) but the two main pistons are single action, no down pressure! His hyrdo distribution box has an outlet for the "drop" valve, it's just capped off with a nut. Does anyone know of a good source to get a dual action piston, need about a 1.5" piston 72" open and 40" closed. Where's a good place to get this? Are the northern tools cylinders good? Any feedback is appreciated!
Ed

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
psimonson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-04          70282

I can't speak much about quality of the cylinders although I have successfully used some of the Chief (imported from India) tie rod cylinders.

A lot depends style needed to attach the cylinder to your particular application. Their prices seem a bit higher than Northern on identical items, but you might want to try "surpluscenter.com" for a better selection of styles and sizes. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-04          70299

The web link below goes to Cross Manufacturing. They have a whole raft of hydraulic parts. Apparently Tisco, another hydraulics source doesn't have a web site.

I think that with the low pump flow on those tractors sticking with small diameter cylinders should provide decent speed but not a lot of power. I guess that 1 1/2" cylinders are what's on it now. I would give some thought to the strength of small shafts. Some of the less expensive cylinders may have softer shafts than are there now and might bend under ordinary loads. I'm not sure how shaft strengths could be compared on the basis of published specs. Maybe finding another 3000 with a double-acting loader already on it and seeing what cylinders are used might be good.

I'm not sure I understand the valving idea but guess you guys have it figured out.

Link:   Cross Manufacturing

View my Photos
suckowe

2003-12-05          70336

Thanks for the tips. It does have 1.5" singles on it now. Actually the valving thing is what's holding us up! I called a local hydro guy and he was asking me all kinds of questions. I told him about the available port and that it was just capped off and I was planning on running the new loader "drop" line right to it when I took the cap out. He said "not so fast there your fella', we have all kinds of questions that need to be answered first". So I need to get the PN off the valve body to see if it's open or closed circuit, find out if the spools are 3 or 4 way, get the GPM off the pump, get the hyrdo tank capacity, and system PSI. Then he said he could get me the right cylinder. He mentioned that if the valve body was not the right one for double action cyl's, that I could use a "double selector valve".

I'm going to start with a call to a Ford dealer to see if they can help me out any. Will post again once I get this thing figured out!
Ed

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-05          70373

Those of the sorts of questions I had in mind. Some of the questions probably don't need to be asked if the hydraulics guy is at a NH dealer. If the tractor hydraulics are going to be used, it's an open centered system. The pump flow, reservoir and system pressure would be manual lookups if they weren't known off hand.

A couple of things might complicate putting together a system. The first is that the description only seemed to mention changing the lift to double-action. I suppose it could be done but it'd be far easier to find a valve assembly where both control valves were 4-way (for double-acting cylinders). That would mean changing the bucket cylinders as well. If you're getting a valve assembly that has a set of operating handles instead of a joy-stick a three section valve could be purchased for not much more and that would provide a rear outlet.

Another thing to think about is if a power-beyond setup is feasible. In this context, PB would allow the loader and 3ph to be operated without changing a diverter valve. It does require a valve assembly that's PB rated. It's sort of a nice feature to have but I'm not sure how easy it'd be on a 3000. I don't think their auxiliary system outlet (you're calling it a drop I think) has a second port for return oil from the loader valve, which is the easiest way to plumb a PB hookup.

While you're talking to the NH dealer you might ask if there'd likely be any structural problems from converting the loader to double-acting cylinders. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login