Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
BillyCAlex
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-01          45592

I would like to use pallet forks on the fel that i will eventually get and was wondering about getting a set that would require 3 hooks to be welded on the top of the bucket allowing on to simply pull up to the pallet forks(which are mounted pipe so they can slide in and out) and roll into the pipe vs. a quick attach system that would require the bucket to be removed. It seems the first system would be faster and easier to hook up but I'm not sure of any deficiencies that I might encounter with the first type.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
johnson445

2002-12-01          45595

Mounting on your bucket will decrease the lift capacity of the fork since they will be extended out further. I would suggest you make a seperate bracket to mount the forks and remove the bucket. I just made one for my 4110 and it works well. Also if you put forks on the bucket the tractor gets longer and harder to get into tight spaces. I purchased my forks from budgetforklifts.com for $100 and they will handle 1000lbs. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-02          45624

My experience with pallet forks is that you get a greatly reduced lift capacity as the weight goes forward, maybe only a third of the usual bucket rating.

And you had better get some SERIOUS ballast on the rear end if you don't want to tip over.

And then there is tire bounce, go real slow and play with the front tire pressure and you can minimize it, but it will never go completely away.
It can be bad enough to pitch the load off the forks.

So the watch words are low, slow, not too heavy on the front and extra damn heavy on the rear. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-02          45626

Pay attention to what has been said here as the ratings do drop when you move your load out front with add-on forks off the bucket. There are Q-tack addaptors made for many of the loaders by ATI that will convert to the skid loader style hook up. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
Art White

2002-12-02          45638

Just to let you know that the unit weighs in at 76lbs. You less about 4 to 6" of depth so I would estimate a 200lb disadvantage and not any more do to the adapter. Many of the skid-steer attachments do weigh more than the normal bucket for the LA-480 loader series so caution is still to be used when getting into them. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
Jeff Earthwerks Unli

2002-12-20          46361

I put a set like that on my loader backhoe ---BIG mistake. The bucket had to be in a position that causes the forks to rest against the cutting edge, which is fine until you go to articulate the bucket to pick up a load--now they are dangling independently from the bucket. I still have them but only in case my skid steer with pallet forks isn't around.

I found, and I realize that not everyone has one, but a skid loader with quick-attach forks is the way to go. Slide the forks together, or use only one, and use them for digging trenches, digging out tree stumps, carrying root balls, and even entire trees. One job required removing 4" of sun-baked clay and stones from a front yard. The skid steer bucket just skimmed across it. With the pallet forks, driving them in and out of the clay then spinning the machine side to side (like filleting a fish) it was literally 5 minutes later and the whole yard was loosened up. If you remove the forks and turn them up side down you can gain another 24" in height-for instance using the forks as a crane when I removed and installed a cab for the dump truck. Also makes a nice cherrypicker for doing engine replacements.

If you do go with the hook design forks keep in mind you'll need to secure them back to (under and over) the bucket. Also, ALL the weight and all the leverage of the forks and weight will be transferred to the top of the bucket. All the buckets I have seen are not strong enough to support the weight.

Another option is using clamp-on bucket forks. I saw a brick layer lift nearly a whole cube of brick with them with his 1710 Ford/NH.

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
Farmerbob2

2002-12-21          46410

Johnson~
What was that website that you got those forks from? I tried the site you had listed budgetforklifts.com and it didn't work. Is that the right site? thanks. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-12-21          46418

My forks are from Gearmore, if that helps. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
johnson445

2002-12-22          46439

Try Budgetforklift.com need to drop the "s". They are located in Kansas City. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
Farmerbob2

2002-12-22          46455

thanks Mark and Johnson, i'll check both companies out ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-23          46482

My more costly solution was a 3ph-forklift. I really didn't like any of the clamp-on forks I saw and also realized that when I needed forks I also tended to need the bucket. The 3ph forks with carriage tilt didn't cost much more than the good bucket replacement forks I saw and gives me forks plus a loader. So now when I get into a building materials type project I have two active ends on the tractor--the rear one is capable of picking full pallets off of 5-ton flatbed trucks and the bucket holds ballast needed for balance.

I think it's kind of a misnomer to call many of the clip-on forks 'pallet forks.' To actually deal with pallets, it's very good to have carriage tilt, adjustable width 3-piece forks on a swinging carriage. It's also good to have vertical lift and a backrest so loads don't fall off the back of the forks.

I really don't know how standard pallets are but to use forks for pallets, the forks have to be spaced so they go though the notches cut in the pallets. I find I change the width of my forks frequently. The 3ph forks do the work for me very well. They are a pain to get on and off though.

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
johnson445

2002-12-23          46510

I agree with Tom's point of view but I solved the problem a little different. I built an attachment for the loader on my 4110 that is quick tatch. You can pull the two pins and swap bucket for forks in 1 minute. I also made the bracket for the forks with 3 point attachment connections so I can use on the back of my tractor if I want to keep the bucket on. I have a hydraulic top link so the forks can be tipped when attached to the 3 point. The three point has a better lift capacity than the loader so I use it for heavy loads, I can pick up 1000lbs on the back. The loader will pick up 500 - 700lbs ok but anything heavier is a challange. The entire thing cost me $200 to build, $120 for the forks, $50 for steel, and $30 for paint, 3 point pins, sleeves, and welding rods. I used forks that are 1" thick, 2" wide and 42" long. I wanted 36" long but they are not standard. These forks are rated for 900lbs with is plenty for a 4110. ....

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-24          46523

My 3ph forks probably were a self-indulgence given my use, and Johnson's solution would get most of my work done at far less cost. I might have done it if I had my welding stuff together.

Having said that, I'll carry on a bit about my forks but mostly just to illustrate some features. The forks are 4', which can put weight pretty far back from the 3ph, but 4' forks are needed to go through both sets of notches on some pallets. The long lift cylinder gives me 5.5' lift without raising the 3ph. However, extreme care must be taken with weight at that height. Those heights on my loader would put the forks mostly over the tractor hood so pallets couldn't be picked up at that height. There is a telescoping steel frame that always stays between me and the load no matter how high the lift. Between that and the backrest, I won't likely drop anything on the tractor or me. The level of the load doesn't change during lift like on most loaders or 3ph lifts so I don't have to adjust the tile to keep loads level.

The combination of lift, carriage tile (also by hydraulic top-link), 3ph and side leveler provide a bunch of angles needed to get pallets on and off when on uneven ground. The hinged 3-piece forks plus all the angles means the fork tips can be put on the ground and run under a pallet almost no matter what it's sitting on and not dig in the tips. The angles also are helpful getting pallets off the forks. It can be very tricky sometimes getting the forks to release when a pallet is put down on uneven ground. Even with my angles it's not uncommon for the forks to come part way out and then start dragging the pallet across the yard.

Pallet Forks

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-02-03          48588

On many loaders, you can get an option for quick attach forks. I believe that this is an industry standard mounting specification. So, you can use any of the skid steer attachments that are available for sale or rent.

My NH loader required a special order for the quick attach feature, but it was worth it. I believe that many JD loaders have it as standard.

I use a set of NH 2000# forks. They are expensive on their own, but I got them in a package deal. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login