Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rebuilding a front end loader

View my Photos
Normando
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-24          104855

Well I am not going to be very technical but I’ll do my best to describe my situation. I am rebuilding my FEL for my JD 950. The hydraulic cylinders are showing there age. In other words they are leaking pretty badly. I have been quoted a cost to have each cylinder rebuild for $100 each. Now someone is telling me not to bother with rebuilding because is does last and it is cheaper in the long run to simply replace them.

Just like to hear your thoughts.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-24          104858

A cylinder repack kit is a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a new cylinder. I would try the repack kit first. You should disassemble the cylinders first to verify that they are servicable. If the plating is deteriorating and flaking off and or severe wear or grooves are present; then I can see going with a new cylinder. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-25          104873

I agree. If the rods are in good shape and have a smooth plating on them, there is no reason not to rebuild them. Replacing the seals and gaskets is normal service, and should restore any cylinder that is still in good shape. ....

View my Photos
Normando
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-25          104875

Hey guys thank you! That was kind of how I was leaning until someone told me not to bother.

The plating on the rods is in excellent condition. I’ll rebuild them first and see what happens.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login