Landscape rakes: Tractor Implements  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Landscape rakes: Tractor Implements -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 08-13-2004, 23:53 Post: 93491
brokenarrow

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

Although my profile may say I own one, I dont, borrowed one and thought I bought it, he wanted it back could not afford the price on his new one he lost his job soon after.
ANYWAY I have a few questions, try and answer all of them Laughing out loud
"history for uses" Will use it primarily for dragging/windrowing 1' and smaller rocks, also will use it for quick grading on my gravel drive, also for dragging dead material from the fields once a year.

Questions?
Does anyone think the price of steel will decrease in the future? Hence lowering the cost of impliments?
How beefy should I go when buying it?
I see one that has a tilt and swivel on it, alot more money than the one that just swivels. I dont have a tnt on the tractor. Should I wait a year to buy this better one? Should I buy the better one? How often would I use the options on it instead of the leveler on my 3pt?

Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 08-14-2004, 05:52 Post: 93496
TomG

TP Contributor

Landscape rakes

I just priced some moderate cost rakes at several dealers. They ran from 550 - 1,200 $CDN. I don't know if the difference in exchange would make a DIY import interesting. I believe the price of steel is mostly a matter of government policy and it'd likely take a change in policy before the price comes down much. I don't think I'd go cheap on one unless I were planning to replace a lot of tines and gauge wheels would save a bunch of time for some uses.

I was interested in a rake to take the stones out of some un-screened topsoil spread over our new septic system. I don't think I'll get a rake since it is largely a one-time idea. Yesterday I wrapped chain-link fence around a length of timber to a thickness of about 5". I'll see if I can drag the stones out when the soil gets dry enough.

I may end up resorting to hand-rakes, but if it works something like that might get you by. I'll have to experiment to see if I can get the drag working and still lift it off the ground with the 3ph for dumping--if not I'll attach it to my 3ph forklift. I'll try all sorts of things before picking up that hand rake.

08-14-2004, 07:14 Post: 93500
jamesrm1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

I have a Woods 5ft rake. It's nicley built and under $500. I used it to distribute about 60 tons of stone blend with my bx23. It's not good for doing any of the finer spreading, like spreading the 3/8 pea grvl over the base. The bx23 doesn't seem to have a depth guage so you have to lower it buy eye. It will drag river rocks though.

08-14-2004, 08:50 Post: 93508
Chief

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 Landscape rakes

BA, I think that eventually production will catch up with demand for steel and the prices will come back down. Now is a good time to be browsing dealers for "demo" implements. Fall is when a lot of dealers want to move aged inventory at least around my area. You might be able to come across a rake that has been used a few times for demo's and fairs for a good price. I have a Land Pride LR 1584 Landscaping Rake that I use for maintaining my drive way. Very heavy and solid built compared to the King Kutter and bargain brands at TSC and Rural King. The added weight of the rake (just under 400 lbs) makes for easier dragging and surface penetration. I can't say that the Land Pride is worth the extra premium in price though but they are a much better built quality rake. I find that I use my rake very occasionally and that a King Kutter or other cheaper rake would probably do just fine. I got a good deal on my rake at a dealer that was trying to clear out inventory in September otherwise I would have purchased a cheaper brand. The heavy use implements is what I would spend the extra money on.

08-14-2004, 09:24 Post: 93514
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

If it wasn't such an inconvienance to rent one, pay the $60, pick up drop off and time it so I can use it I would rent and see what one would do for me. But when you look at KK for $360. almost makes you want to buy. Then I look at the name products that have a few more bells and whistles and you jump right up to double the cost. Its tough trying to balance a impliments costs with the use and how often. The bottom line is if it will work for the jobs you have for it, I dont mind paying twice the price if the other one wont do all I ask for it.
I was looking at the tines on them, if comparing same size to size it makes ya wonder if there is any difference sure seem to look the same. Then I read toms post and wonder even more if I shouldnt bite it and spend the extra cash. Suppose I will take a ride out to one of the JD dealers I just past last night, they have other brand impliment there too. I also see a double cultipacker with spikes (used) and I have been looking for one)
Thanks for the imput

08-14-2004, 09:57 Post: 93517
plots1

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

My KK rake works just fine, I have the 6 ft model I use it to level my rock once or twice a year and to clean leaves and sticks off my woods roads and have used in leveling some of my food plots, I think spending more than what the KK cost would be insane, they don't really get a lot of abuse. the others do look a bit more prettier but the KK does perform just fine, at a much cheaper price.

08-14-2004, 11:51 Post: 93520
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

Plots1
We must be cut from the same cloth, Was just wondering if the tilt features are worth it or not. I will probably end up with kk. Have you ever used it to windrow rocks in any of your fields or dont you have that problem where you live?

08-14-2004, 20:28 Post: 93538
hardwood

TP Contributor

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

Broken' Do I think the price of steel will come down? I'll answer that with a definite "Maybe". Steel is a commodity just like oil, grains, plywood, etc.,the laws of supply and demand will guide the price of steel eventually. First of all I'm just as guilty of this as anyone else so I'm not preaching to a select few. We have become a nation of want not need, we buy things because we want them not because of absolute need. Intrest on big ticket items is touted to be 0%,lets face the fact the free intrest thing is built into the base price of the item, Ford and GM did'nt stay in business for a hundred years giving money away flashy TV ads tell us we need something that we really don't, so we buy it anyhow, it's intrest free, yeah right. The advertising businesss has a tremendous effedt on how the economy of our nation goes, for example if we did'nt buy the car to replace the one that was serving us well simply because it is supposedly interst free the steel industry, GM and Ford could be brought to their knees in weeks. This would be a terrible thing to happen, as our economy as we know it would be destroyed, but it could happen if everyone simply said I'm happy with what I have now, I don't need a new car, a new house, new boat, new tractor, washing machine, etc., etc.. Broken If you are going to buy it anyway, allways buy quality, you'll never regret it. Now that i've strayed miles from the subject, a top and tilt would make a nice addition to the rake, but buying both the rake and the TNT won't make the price of steel come down. Oh by the way you said you were showing me your true colors, all I saw was blue, at least I have a few old Farmalls to keep the color spectrum complete. Please don't take my sermon too seriously, I'm getting to be one of those old "Goofers" that sit around thinkinmg up stuff to belly ache about. Enjoy your evening. Frank.

08-14-2004, 23:20 Post: 93551
brokenarrow

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

Frank
I like straight shooters! I try to down play (here) my usual bad habits ( say whats on my mind without worrying about how or what the outcome of the reciever will feel) My wife tells me its my worst habit. I say, "well atleast my buddies will never guess what I really am thinking" here I try to tone it down abit cause most people on boards really dont know where a guy is coming from, and I dont want to upset anyone so as to get them mad at me. I can take constructive critisitzm well, in most cases the guys here are just trying to help or at the very worst get under my skin (just for a bit of fun) that is where I come from have a bit of fun ripping on a few other colors but at the same time try to help if I have any info I can pass on. That said, I agree I dont NEED a rake, it would make things easier though and maybe a bit more productive for the way I need to put in crops and my soil conditions.
The right tool I need is way out of my price range since I am not living off my fields. At the same time though I cant get myself sometimes to pay a dealer the price they want when I know it is marked up because of the name and a bit more quality than one may need. I know KK is a bargain company, but at the same time if you dont abuse it and dont use it all the time most of their products seem to due what they say they will. I even here a few guys here say that they abuse theirs and the KK keeps taking a liking with no problems. Sure, the paint falls off right away big deal! My box scraper took a beating 2 weeks ago with all the rocks and I can tell you there is not ONE ding in its construction. That thing was jumping out of the ground at times and it still looks good. Maybe some of these products (the name ones) are just built tougher than needed to make a few more bucks. I build things all the time that way and can tell you that a few more spots that are braced or beefed up dont add up to DOUBLE the cost of an impliment so I know these companys are making a killing on some items if KK can sell for half the price with a few less welds and a few less pounds of steel for bracing.
That said, when I have the extra money around and the product calls for it I buy the quality. I bought a WOODS rotary cutter with slip clutch, NOT a deere but still a quality tool ( I think deere puts out one of the best brush hogs but I wont admit it most of the time) Laughing out loud. At the same time you pay thru the nose for that. A kk brush hog may of been all I needed (I here alot of good about em) But with that item I went with WOODS.
Price of steel plays into the picture (In my little brain) because I cant stand myself when I buy something and a year later it it cheaper and I only plan on using this rake 3 times before next year. I dont mind paying $100 more or less, but when you look at landpride or woods and you see a tag on it for $700 or more and the same item (not as beefy and a few less bells) Is half that price I need to make a decision. I dont like buying used, like to know what I am starting out with and will blame myself for any damage so once again I am showing my colors.
Thanks for the input

08-15-2004, 00:37 Post: 93556
jamesrm1

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 Landscape rakes

Plots, do you have a clean stone driveway? It seems that any other kind of stone such as blend is not well suited for a rake. The rake separates the larger stone from the dust. Do you have to tamp the stone after raking it? Or do you leave it au-natural?

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Implements Forum

Thread 93491 Filter by Poster:
brokenarrow 4 | Chief 1 | grassgod 3 | hardwood 2 | jamesrm1 2 | plots1 3 | TomG 1 | WPHill 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Belarus 250as blowby
Belarus 250as blowby

Unanswered Questions

460 axle

Active Subjects

460 axle
Cub cadet 7305 no start
Upgrading the Factory 145amp A
Agracat 3720 Magnum Clutch Iss
Wiring schem
farm pro 2420
WTB TC30 suspension seat
2017 Tax Plan

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined
+ What is 3 point hitch draft control
+ Howse impliments are junk
+ Farmi vs Fransgard Logging Winch
+ Spike tooth drag harrow
+ Tractor Implements Category 1 vs Category 0
+ Rock picker
+ Kubota rear hydraulics for a log splitter
+ Road-Boss-Grader