Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO USES

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-01          123926

I have two speeds on my PTO never took the cover off. Have not needed it yet, thinking about a tiller. What implements do you use at what speed?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

PTO USES

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-01          123930

All attachments built today for a compact are at 540. Years ago most manufacturers tried to keep customers coming back for pto attachments by making them operate at different speeds as well as different size shafts and splines. Some of the other speeds you might find for the rear are from machnes built for other countries and might be used to gear up and idle down for fuel economy reasons or possibly to overcome incorrect gearing for proper ground speed from improperly sized equipment. ....

PTO USES

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-01          123937

Thanks Art ....

PTO USES

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-02          123953

SG8NUC
You may have a "mid" pto, which is used for various implements. Dont know how new your tractor is, but I run my front end snowblower at about 2000rpms. Should be switches to go from one to the other if you have both.
doc ....

PTO USES

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-02-02          123964

I should have included the speeds (1000 and 540 rpm)the tractor is a couple of years old. I just have not seen any attachments (no snow down here) that run at 1000. ....

PTO USES

View my Photos
Murf

2006-02-02          123968

Although some manufacturers frown on it, we used to use the 1,000 rpm setting (our newer tractors don't have it) to run light-power TPO run implements to save wear on the tractor.

Things like debris blowers, water pumps, etc. don't necessarily require the full PTO power a given tractor can produce at PTO speed. By running the tractor at half-speed, but setting the output to 1,000 rpm, you get a lower power output at 540 rpm PTO speed.

Best of luck.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login