Go Bottom Go Bottom

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-13          116335

Can anyone recommend a mower and bailer that would fit our B7800 for a small plot of alfalfa hay. I'm concerned about the 22 pto horsepower we have with the 7800, but I have heard of sball bailers for compacts. We are also interested in what would be the best way to cut the hay. Windrowing isn't an issue, we have that under control.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-13          116342

You might want to look for an old New Holland 67 or 68 small square baler they require very minimal HP as long as you are only dropping the bales and not throwing them. Are you on flat ground?

As far as cutting you are not going to find much that is going to cut and condition. You best bet my be to get a 3pt side sickle bar mower. You don't have to condition it you will just have to leave it lay a little longer and ted it about 3 time so it dries down evenly. ....

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-13          116343

Thanks for the help, ground is flat and we will be dropping the bales. I figured that we would have to field dry the hay, although there is another opinion that calls for bailing within 6 hrs of cutting. That may not be an option for us. We will tedder then bail, and maybe tedder nore than once.

Would rather not sickle bar, but if there isn't a rotory cutter we can handle, We'll have to for now.

Thanks again. ....

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-13          116354

If you are cutting on flat ground as you say; you may be able to get by with a Haybine Mower Conditioner. New Holland makes a real nice one. That is what the guys who bale my pastures use and it really makes a difference in the drying time. No tedding required. They just let it dry and use a tow powered rotary rake. They round bale with a small Hesston round baler. The Hesston round bailer is run by an International 784 which is about 65 pto hp. The smallest model New Holland makes is the 472. With respect to a baler; you are going to be hard pressed to find a baler that will run off of 22 pto hp. The New Holland 565 requires 35 pto hp. Agriquip makes a Round baler model MRB0850 MRB0860 that will run off of 18 - 30 pto hp.

http://www.agriquip.com/star/

You might want to take a look at their product line and see if their equipment might work for you. ....

Link:   Haybine Mower Conditioner

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
beagle

2005-09-14          116369

Thanks, the Agriquip is the type of equipment we were looking for. Looks like it's well matched to a compact tractor.

I guesss the option is a bigger tractor.... ....

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
Chief

2005-09-14          116386

I think in the long run you have to consider a larger tractor. Especially if you decide to go with a round baler. Most folks with horses or a few head of livestock like the square bales as they are easy to handle and feed. The problem with baling them is that unless you are independently wealthy or have a VERY LARGE family of able bodied helpers; the stacking and handling of these bales can be overwhelming.

Depending upon the size of the round bale; most are equivalent to about 10 - 15 square bales of hay. Some of the larger and more tightly packed round bales even more. A strong producing 40 acre hay pasture can produce 1,000's of square bales that must be stacked on the wagon or truck, hauled to the barn, elevated to the loft (if you have one) and then restacted.

Whereas a round bale can be speared with a hay spike and hauled to the barn by one person. The job goes faster if you have a flat wagon or trailer to haul several at a time.

There in lies the rub. To pick up even a small moderately packed round bale requires a much larger tractor. I don't even try to pick them up with my 4410. The guys baling my river bottom pasture use an International 484 with a hydraulic top link assist to pick up their round bales and their bales are small and not tightly packed. This puts the tractor at its limits even with a counter weight on the front end.

How much hay are you talking about baling? ....

B7800 Hay Equipment

View my Photos
oneace

2005-09-14          116395

The ssmallest haybine New Holland makes is a 7' model. I Believe that will be pushing the limits of the 7800.

As far as a bigger tractor you can find Ford 4000 or 5000 tractors pretty regularly at a cheap price and these are diesel. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login