Go Bottom Go Bottom

landscape rake seeding backwards

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-21          113740

This weekend I am finishing up a food plot (seeding). I have always covered the brassica seeds slightly and have had good/great success. After looking at my landscape rake, I was thinking that if I turn it around backwards that this may may a perfect tool to lightly incorporate the seed before I cultipack. Is this a practice that the rake used backwards may be benifitial? Also what other uses are there for the rake being turned around? Looks like the possibility's are endless and was wondering if anyone here uses it backwards and for what?
Thanks guys!!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-21          113743

If you turn it around you'll need to shorten the top link so that the rake tines lay down at less of an attack angle so that they drag rather than scrape/dig. I use mine in reverse to push debris into areas that I can't drive forward into. Gotta be careful though, as the rake tends to submarine easier in reverse so feathering the lift control is a must. I got tired of getting off the CUT to manually readjust the rake angle. So I installed a hydraulic cylinder on the rake and voila! The cylinder is at the perfect position which allows me to pull a pin and spin the rake around and reconnect the cylinder. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-21          113746

EW
Thanks, I must of not been very clear. I was talking about driving forward with the tines/rake reverses. So it would be like a radius or rounded edges pushing down on the soil? Kinda just riding on top, to "lightly" incorporate the soil and seed as so that when I cultipack I can get good seed to soil contact with the seed just under the surface.
On anouther note though, I never thought about what you were talking about and I can see where it ma be handy in some instances. Thanks for that bit of information!!! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-22          113749

You were very clear, and I agree about going forward. I just wanted to point out that you'll need to reduce the angle of attack via the toplink so the tines skim across the dirt pushing the seed under and around the tines. Depending on the type and dryness of the soil, it should lightly cover the seed as it drags versus creating a little furrow where little or no seed will stay. I seeded the conventional way with the rake in normal position and I ended up with furrows everywhere. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-07-22          113750

Actually we do it a little more different than that even.

We flip the rake over upside-down!

Use just the two lift arms and forget the upper link completely. Lift the arms so that only the rounded part of the back of the tines slide across the surface.

The gap between the tines allows just the right combination of agitation and covering. Also running the rake this way ensures that it cannot ever drag any seed around by biting in.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
denwood

2005-07-22          113799

I agree with murf, if it will mount up OK. No matter what your setup right side up, you will catch something and drag seed leaving a bare spot, probably lots of them. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-24          113849

Earthwrks,denwood,murf
LOL Thanks alot! I guess I did make myself clear enough because you all got!! exactly what I meant. Upsidedown,backwards LOl The best description was with the rounded part down. I never thought about not using the top link, GOOD idea! I ended up not using it at all for the seeding. As it turned out, the ground was like dust. Been so dry that after 2 passes with the rake (because just 2 weeks earlier I prepaired the field and have been waiting for the right moment to plant) the ground was like dust. Actually it was TOO perfect a seedbed except for the rocks not totally out. I broadcast the seed and decided to JUST cultipck since the ground was so loose. I will keep in mind the great ideas here though for anouther planting condition. Thanks for the good responses! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login