Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 7305 w power problems

View my Photos
mushing_madness
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-17          71471

I'm wondering if someone can help me out with an issue I'm having with my 1998 7305 (hydro) which currently has 442 hours. When I bought it (used with 350 hrs) the dealer went through it - changed all the oils & filters and gave it a once over for me so that I would not have to do any scheduled maintenance for a period of time.

My problem: I've noticed that it seems to be losing its power. Lately when I go to drive it to the neighbors or the park to do some work I can't drive it in High Gear - it starts speeds up fine, but shortly after I get up to speed it starts slowing down - to the point that it is creeping along. I've also noticed that if I'm plowing the driveway it tends to bog down as I am pushing the snow. Thinking on it, I believe that when I was mowing this fall it would slow down as I would go up hills (more than normal).

Here is what I see when it does slow/bog down: the rpms of the motor go down with the speed - as it gets slower I sometimes see bluish smoke coming from the exhaust - lastly a few times it has smelled "hot".

I thought that maybe it needed a hydro fluid & filter change, so I went to my local dealer, bought a filter (both hydro and hydraulic) and the oil and changed it - it seemed to be better for the next few runs but then it started acting up again.

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing? Any help would be appreciated!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71475

Overheating will slow a hydro. unit down faster than ice cream truck bells will a fat kid.

Check that the screen in front of the rad is not plugged up, if it is it will cause the unit to heat up FAST.

Other than that the only advice I can offer is "Art, line one, Art, line one please." ROFLMAO.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-17          71483

Murf, you sound like the help. First thing I'd do is change the fuel filter and don't forget Murf's suggestion. If you really had a hydro problems the RPM wouldn't be dropping. Also make sure you aren't leaning on the foot petal to much while climbing those hills. ....

View my Photos
mushing_madness

2003-12-17          71487

The screen is clear (I clear it before each use during the non-winter uses). As far as the fuel filter - it too was changed (along with the air filter) about 15 hrs ago. I also blow out the air filter - so it looks good.

Be kind - I'm a newbie to this stuff - bought a diesel tractor and a diesel truck at the same time so trying something that I know nothing about.

Let me elaborate a bit more on the power issue and it slowing down - this occurs if I am going uphill, on level ground, or even on a slight downgrade!

As murph states - heat slows them down like ... - do thermostats having issues on these? Would it be recommended to change it?

Anything you can do to help me along & educate me at the same time is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your comments already! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-17          71491

Ok, let me back up and start again in crayon....

In case you may not know, it is 'normal' for a hydro to lose a little speed at the top end as it heats up, they will generally not run as fast in 4wd as in 2wd. However, it should not be anything dramatic. Some units do not like to run 'flat out' period, just slightly less than 'full pedal' and they are much happier.

You're comment about rpm's dragging down and 'smelling hot' are telling, this says to me that you are pushing it too far, trying to make it run faster than it want's to. If the temp. gauge is not showing higher than normal I don't think the engine is the problem. It just seems to be overloaded trying to make the machine go fast, try slowing down just a little and see if it makes a difference.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-17          71493

Had a complaint afew years ago on one and found two problems. One his foot often was on the brake petal while on the hydro. The second problem was the linkages for the brakes was dry and they were hanging on from time to time. With the hydro's the brakes don't get used anywhere near what they are on the hydro's so they will hang up from time to time. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-12-18          71554

Dragging brakes has been the explanation for several similar problems discussed here. Sounds like you are lugging the engine and that's something to avoid. It's also important to sort out whether it's the HST or the engine has lost power.

I can't recall if this Cub has an HST that achieves its max ground speeds by changing the pump displacement to max and the motor to minimum and without a geared range section. I think Art mentioned that there is such a design used on some Cubs. Running such a TX at max ground speeds does have efficiency problems that would add to heat loads so maybe backing off a bit would help. Power is going to be a bunch less if the oil heats and thins. ....

View my Photos
mct,tractor repair,l

2003-12-30          72732

if you do alot of mowing in the summer you might want to change your air filter more often than under the normal conditions . your cub seems to smoke more when you loose power ,if i am right it will get worse and cause bigger problems down the road.hope this helps ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login