Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dirty Deisel

View my Photos
Joe1920
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-02          52474

Hi...I just am coming to the end ( I hope )of a problem with my Ford 1920 tractor. It has about 950 hours on it and runs ( has run ) like a top..recently it has developed a problem with losing power / breaking up after it has been running for 30 to 40 minutes and is good and warmed up..runs great while cold but once warmed up starts breaking up badly..I have bled out air at the bleeder and at the injectors.. changed filter and housing, finally gave up and called my local Ford dealer. They said they thought it was the injector pump perhaps from lack of lubrication ( I had added the prescribed amount of deisel additive at the start of winter and a can of deisel approved dry gas)...at any rate they called today to say they think that there might have been a small amount of gasoline(?) in the tank somehow which was causing the problem,said they cleaned it out, got it running for a couple of hours with no problems..I am looking forward to putting it through its paces to see if it is indeed fixed but am confused how a fuel problem could come and go with engine temperature? has anyone ever heard of anything like this? any suggestions? Hopefully its a done deal but I can't say I'm very confident!! Thanks Joe S

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dirty Deisel

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-03          52508

I don't know if I'd exactly buy the pump lubrication idea, or the bit of gasoline idea either. Sometimes tinkering does fix things and nobody can figure out why or what the problem was. If it comes back and still has the problem, I'd remove the fuel cap and see if that clears it, although bleeding the lines might be required. A blocked tank vent can create such a problem. A vacuum develops after it runs for awhile.

A marginal line restriction also is a possibility. A tractor can run a low throttle but there's not enough flow to support serious work for long. Some fuel tanks have internal filter screens.

Dirty Deisel

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-03          52511

I would check for dirt on the screen on the end of the intake line. If they cleaned out the tank then they probably checked this.
A couple of us had this problem last summer and it was that intake screen. ....

Dirty Deisel

View my Photos
Joe1920

2003-04-03          52518

Thanks guys I will check out the tsnk screen and for line restrictions if it remains a problem...we did check to make sure the cap was venting before I sent it up to Ford...I'll fire her up soon and check it out ..if it ever stops snowing that is! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login