Go Bottom Go Bottom

American Battries for Chinese Tractor

View my Photos
STSIMON
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-16          49345

I have a 38HP TaskMaster tractor from China. The battery is an old type battery and does not hold a charge. I want to change it with an American batter but I can't understand the chinese writing on the battery. What are the dangers with getting the wrong size of battery?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-16          49351

Just shooting from the hip here because I don't know what you mean by size.

If you get the voltage right all else follows. Assuming it is a standard wet cell, if it has 6 caps it is a nominal 12 volt battery.

If this is right so far, look for a battery with the same, or close to the same, physical dimensions and get the highest rated cold cranking amps in that size.

Diesels use more power than a gas engine in the starting cycle due to glow plugs and higher compression. Make sure you don't get a deep cycle battery as that is not what you need. You may even find a battery designed for diesel engines and that would be good.

We don't get many reports on chinese tractors here, how is yours holding up?

Can you give us some basics, like tractor weight, and what you use it for, how many hours have you run it, and any maintenance issues? ....

View my Photos
STSIMON

2003-02-16          49352

Thanks.

This is a 2003 38HP task master with fourwheel drive & a frontend loader. It weighs about 3300 and has power steering. It does not have the Hydrostatic Transmission so it works my left leg a little but it mainly stays in creaper gear anyway.

I've been pulling out small stumps (mainly pine of 2 to 4 inches) and moving a lot of brush (13 acreas). I plan on putting on a woodchipper and blade on the back.
Price was the driver as my wife gave me a 15-K limit for the tractor and a heavy duty trailer (10000lb)which I came in at $15,500 with shipping.

Only have about 30 hours -- no problems except for the battery. Also it tends to be cold nature -- a lot of cranking to start it when its cold (around 25 degrees or less). There is no glow plug on it but I don't know if that would help. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-17          49383

Battery specs for my Ford 1710 calls for a 75AH 775CCA battery. The Ford has 29 engine HP. I replaced a NH battery with an automotive type of about the right dimensions that also has better CCA's. If you don't have battery specs, the Taskmaster sounds like a bit bigger tractor than my 1710 so I'd try for at least my battery specs and preferable greater specs.

As Mark says, the bigger the is good in for batteries as long as they'll fit. For use of automotive batteries, there are issues of electrolyte spillage and vapour venting since most batteries are in front of the rad where vapour and electrolyte can be drawn through the rad. Maintenance free types would be good provided one is found with the right dimensions and power. My automotive battery is a conventional automotive type that vents through the caps. The vents point forward and there has been no evidence of corrosion.

A block heater might help the tractor start faster. There also are various type of manifold pre-heating systems used on direct-injection engines that might help. Generally it's not good to crank a diesel like an gas engine. The injectors give full squirts each cycle and the engine oil becomes diluted with fuel quickly. If a diesel is going to start, it usually does so with just short bursts on the starter. One trick is to set the hand-throttle for 1/2 - 3/4 throttle before starting. That gives bigger initial shots of fuel and acts sort of like a diesel choke.

Starter RPM is everything in starting diesels. Starters in larger compact engines often are geared-up to give higher RPM, and they do draw quite a bit of current. It takes a big battery in good condition and heavy-gauge cabling with clean terminals to provide the current. I don't know if the existing cables have N.A. sized terminals and may have to be changed. In sorting that one out, I'd check the gauge of the cables and terminals and consider replacing them with heavier duty ones.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login