Go Bottom Go Bottom

changing transmission fluid

View my Photos
jrschremser
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-09-27          117031

I am seeking out advice on how to obtain a complete transmission fluid change for my JD 4600 with FEL. I am concerned that I may not be able to drain all the fluid from the system including the hydraulic rams by just pulling the plug, filter and filter screen. Does anyone have a method?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-09-27          117039

I am not saying that it is not possible to purge the oil from the FEL hyd. circuits and cylinders but it may not be practical. Ideally you would want to be able to exchange all fluids for new when changing the trans. oil and filters but the FEL hyd. circuit retains the oil remaining in it and short of draining each cylinder and line individually; I think it would prove to be a VERY messy and PITA process that would not yield the results to justify the hastle.

The oil is goes through 2 filters and a very fine sump screen which should more provide more than adequate filtering. I would guess a 460 FEL may retain possibly as much as 5 gallons of fluid and more likely less. The 4600 HST is listed as holding 33 qts. of trans. oil and 27 qts. for the gear trans. I can understand your concern of wanting to get as much fluid as possible out during the change.

I did my own change on my 4410 during the 50 hour break in service and to be honest; the oil I drained out looked as good as what I put back in from the Hygard plastic jugs. The machine has performed well without problems. I have about 238 hours on it currently.

In my opinion, I think you would more than likely do more harm than good as you would be introducing large pockets of air into your hyd. system which tends to make hyd. and hydrostatic pumps VERY unhappy not to mention opportunity for running for short instances without oil which is never good.

I think you would be best advised to perform the service by the book. Perhaps your dealer may have some more detailed info. ....

View my Photos
jrschremser

2005-10-04          117381

OK, that sounds reasonable. I guess the hydraulic fluid doesn't break down/collect contaminates like engine oil does.

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-04          117385

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the oil quantity listed in the manual for the transmission of my 4410 was wrong. It listed 6.8 gallons of oil for the eHydro trans. My drain pans QUICKLY alerted me to the obvious as the 8 gallon catch pan ran over! When I completed the 50 hr. break in service I ended up putting slightly over 9 gallons of Hygard back in the trans to get it back to the full mark. I suspect your 4600 maybe the same way. ....

View my Photos
curtlt

2005-10-08          117569

I have a Kabota B2400 w/woods 6500 backhoe. On the boom piston I have to replace the rubber bumper (now a plastic sleeve) on each end. Please guide me through changing these. Their is one bolt 1"1/8 on each end under the support legs of the backhoe? I have already lowered the support legs, disconnected the pistons in order to gain access to those bolts.
Thanks in advance ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login