Go Bottom Go Bottom

50 hr fluid change

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-26          108762

I am taking my tractor in for a recall job. I am in need of the 50 hr fluid/filter change. I have the filters already (given to me by the dealer when purchased) Since my tractor is 300 miles away and my time there is at a always premium, would it be in my best interest to hang on to the filters for the 100 hr service and just pay them to do the job along with any other small leaks (I have one that I am sure is just a tightening of a coupler). I dont know what they would charge me for this but do you think it would be worth my time (in the cost for the job) to have it done by them? My time with my tractor is for the most part limited to 1 1/2 days on weekends and I usually am working hard for most of that time. Taking a few hours out to do it my self is not that big a deal but on the other hand will take part of a day that I could be doing something else with?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

50 hr fluid change

View my Photos
kskwash

2005-03-27          108831

I understand your problem. I am in the same situation as you are, limited time. But, I enjoy working on my tractor myself. It really does not matter if I am out in the field on it, or working on it, atleast I am outside enjoying the weather. If you have 1/2 a day or so, why not get an early start, and do the job yourself. And just think, the money that you save can go towards another new toy. HAHA
Kevin ....

50 hr fluid change

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-27          108835

It's a tough call. In some cases, I have chosen to spend the money and have someone do it for me. How much is your time worth? Do you have more money than time in regards to that job? Only you can answer that. ....

50 hr fluid change

View my Photos
cthonestguy

2005-03-27          108838

Here is my take brokenarrow...You know how to do it yourself and from you pictures of stuff you made, you seem to be a pretty talented guy. My time is very important too so what I do is either get up real early or stay up real late and do my own servicebefore the family wakes up or after they go to bed. Part of the reason is I enjoy doing it and the other part is that sometimes you end up with a 16 year old kid doing your service at the dealer and they miss stuff.

I don't like anyone working on my "stuff" unless it's over my head. Little things like allowing ALL the oil to drip out, prefilling the oil filters before you screw them on. Making sure you put the right quality oil in there not just some no-name bulk stuff from a 55 gallon drum makes you feel a little more confident when pushing a machine hard.

Time is important but I personally enjoy diesel running down my arm when changing a fuel filter. I make good money and can afford it but it's a good feeling knowing it was done right and the right stuff was put in the machine.

Nothing like thinking , "I wonder if that kid at the dealer really took apart my strainer on the rear hydro unit and cleaned it...if he did I sure hope he didn't damage the screen" ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login