Go Bottom Go Bottom

extension booms

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-20          88986

I dont remember where, but Ive heard talk of extension booms for backhoes,so as to increase the reach.Ive started on my ditch project, and find the backhoe coming up a couple feet short all the time. The tractor is a NH tc35d, with the NH backhoe.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

extension booms

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-21          89010

They do make them, but I have never heard of one for a machine much under about 20,000 pounds though.

The farther out you reach the less you are able to pickup, with a small machine like a CUT much of an extension would just about wipe out any lift ability at all.

The way we build swales or ditches is to start at one end of where you want it and line up the center line of the backhoe (the pivot point) with the center line of the proposed ditch then just keep moving along forwards as you dig. A wrist action bucket (also unavailable for a CUT) is really handy to allow you to twist the bucket side-to-side to shape the ditch banks.

The only other way you can do it is to dig the ditch it two parts, first as a V-shape with one vertical side along the center line, then go back from the other side and dig the other half of the dirt out.

Best of luck. ....

extension booms

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-21          89029

my problem is that I'm cleaning and walling an existing ditch, and there are places where I must work from only one side.After I get the sides repaired, the banks will be stabil enough to get in closer and make the reach [for future maintanence].I can live with it, but it will make the job a bunch longer since I will have to wall and fill before I can establish the grade in the bottom.This ditch is about 8' deep so when I'm extended out thers not much left !A bigger unit wont work due to the closeness of buildings and trees, without the supersteer, some of what I'm doing would be impossible. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login