Go Bottom Go Bottom

Backhoe Tutorial

View my Photos
HuckMeat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-25          77941

So I've been playing with my BH90 backhoe (thus far, with my limited use, it has been fantastic!). I massivly failed my first set of percolation tests, soil had too much clay.

I've selected my new location, should be very sandy and perc good. I've started digging, mostly by feel and what seems to be smooth/easy on the equipment. I've now gotten the hole I need 6' deep, and I need another foot of depth. Should be no problem given the specs of the backhoe, and I can probably eek it out once it's daylight again, but I realized, I'm not very efficient with my backhoe, and I don't know the best techniquest to do to get smooth trenches, deep holes, or be gentle and kind to my equipment. I don't force anything, but I'm sure there is more for me to learn. I know what my dipperstick and boom are, and am able to do basic digging, but I was wondering if anyone has any tutorials on the net I can start learning from...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Backhoe Tutorial

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          77945

Your operator manual should show some basic techniques. There is lots of discussion about how some of the other members dig in the archives.

If the treads did not wander in from other areas look under the Backhoe section or do a search. ....

Backhoe Tutorial

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-26          77959

The deeper you go in a confined space the more you will need the employ a bucket digging technique.

Basically it has you lowering your dipper stick into the hole with the bucket "wrist" cocked all the way out. Drive the teeth into the soil and run the bucket through its full travel arc to get a scoop of material and then pull it vertically out of the hole.

My ground is so hard in places that this is the only way I can penetrate the soil. Dragging the bucket around with the dipper stick and boom just makes a lot of noise. ....

Backhoe Tutorial

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-26          77964

I agree with Mark and I would also like to point out that the closer that you go to the digging limit on your hoe, the more you have to move the tractor. You just cannot dig much of a flat bottom when going real deep, so you might as well move it a foot at a time or whatever you need to do. It is a PITA, but you are operating at the edge of the operating envelope of the equipment.

Trenches are pretty straight forward in that you have clearance for the dipper stick and other elements of the backhoe, but small size deep holes may have to be made larger than you desire to get clearance to move the hoe in and out of the hole. ....

Backhoe Tutorial

View my Photos
HuckMeat
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-26          78047

Right on!

After fooling a bit, what you guys were saying made complete sense, and worked great. I just had to hit 8' to prove I hadn't hit bedrock, and using the bucket, did just that.

With the smaller clearance holes, I end up having to move the dipper stick in to get it down in there, extend it, scoop, and then bring everything back through the paces to get it out of the hole. But it was good practice to get the hang of everything... Not sure I'd really need to dig deep skinny holes. I'll work on moderate trenches next.

Thanks!
John

Thanks again! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login