Go Bottom Go Bottom

help on selecting best size model hoe

View my Photos
mightymoe
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-13          63772

Hi

I have a Kubota B8200 4x4 19hp 14hp pto(1716lbs) with FEL (742 lbs). The book says the tractor has a 3 point load limit of 800lbs. I would like to buy a home use hoe for it. I was looking at the 7.5 hoes weighing in at 900 lbs. Brands Wallenstien, amerequip and mazzotti. the questions are with a front loader can my tractor handle more than the 800 lbs in the manual? I have some grades to traverse on this property, is this wieght an issue? With 14 Pto hp, dynoed at 16 according to tractortips.com is this enough power to drive these 7.5 hoes with pto acc pump. It drives a log splitter. If the pto is under powered what will be the effect? I also have a second speed of 748rpm for the pto, would this provide more power? Are there other brands I should look into? Do i need to get a shorter model to work with my tractor? I would like the biggest I can handle so if i upgrade I can keep the hoe.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-13          63795

In my opinion, most 7.5 backhoes are going to be too large for that size tractor. You will be marginal on weight, hydraulics, and may damage your tractor.

A smaller unit should work fine. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-14          63802

Mighty moe I've read your post a couple of times. I believe Your main concern is: does it have enough HP to run the hyd's? You have more than enough hp for your hyd especially if you are running an aux pto pump.

I don't think you have tractor enough to handle the weight and stress a larger hoe will put on the tractor.

I am one to save a buck if I can and I have used a Arps model 28 8' 3ph back hoe on my 35hp 4400 JD. I was not pleased at all with the stress on the tractor hitch points. I have since bought the JD 48 which fits SOLID. I use it in the most difficult positions, sideslopes, back into ditches have to use hoe to push tractor back out...

There are several threads about 3ph hoes and damage to tractor 3ph systems.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is: Buy the manfactures hoe that will fit your current tractor and when you are ready to trade beat the sales guy hard for all of your money spent on hoe towards new hoe for new tractor. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-14          63804

I share AC's suggestion. I have a 6.5' hoe on my 3,000 lbs. 24 pto hp tractor/loader. I think of it as slightly small for the tractor, but only slightly small. It also is a 3ph mount, which stress tractor frames more and I wouldn't put a bigger hoe on it. That's an easy attitude for me to have since it really don't need to dig deeper than 5'-6'. I could use more reach sometimes though. I understand the trade up idea, but the idea should be tempered with how deep you ever will need to dig without a contractor.

The weight probably is manageable with ballast in the loader bucket. That would prevent to loader blade from being dug in, which is standard practice to keep the hoe from moving the tractor around, and a big hoe on a small tractor can really move it around. However, 3ph specs often should be de-rated for many hoes. The weight is distributed further behind the link arms then most spec definitions. Extending the boom and stick with a full bucket also puts the weight distribution further back and swinging a full bucket may tend to tip the tractor. Anyway, the idea seems marginal at best and there may be safety considerations. Besides, operation of many 7.5' hoes would be pretty slow when driven from 14 pto hp.

The size cylinders and leverage in the frame design plus the system pressure create power in a hydraulic system. Pump volume affects the speed of operation. Higher pto speed may create greater volume butI wouldn't run the pto at the higher rpm unless certain the pump is designed for it. Even so, higher rpm may produce a faster hoe but wouldn't affect power. It also would take more engine power, which the tractor may not have.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-14          63822

My recommendation is to stay at 6'6" digging depth. As already stated you don't have enough weight to haul it well. Boy, you guys are sharp! ....

View my Photos
mightymoe

2003-09-14          63829

Thanks Guys

I appreciate the input, and it looks like my thoughts were right. One of the dealers was saying that either 6.5 or 7.5 would work. Everyone else said no. looks like I will go 6.5. Should I purchase the kubota brand or aftermarket, I think the specs on the aftermarket are better, and cheaper. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-14          63839

I have had two small tractors with 6.5 foot hoes and it is about all you would want on a machine under 2500 pounds base weight.

My JD 46 B/H weighs 900 pounds. It is made by Ameriquip and is virtually the same as the after market hoe they sell for your tractor, except for the sub-frame and the hydraulic source. Have a look at my pics to see what that size looks like on my tractors.

Both Kubota and Ameriquip hoes utilize a massive steel "backbone" that replaces the 3 point center link to take up the torsional loads. Just make sure you are getting this engineering package if you order an aftermarket product. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-14          63848

While the specifications of the aftermarket hoe may be true, that does not necessarily mean that the hoe is a good match for the tractor. The extra power and reach will put more force throughout the frame of your tractor. If you are an expert user, then you might be able to tell when you are overloading the combined system, but most people cannot. I think that the big three are going to keep the overall system in mind and their specs will show that.

I like having a backhoe because I hate digging by hand in the tough desert soils around here. But, if I have a project that requires something deeper than my hoe will do, then I contract it out or I rent a bigger hoe for a day or two. I am putting in a base for a large antenna tower right now, and I am going to contract out the foundation work. It is 4 ft square and 8 ft deep. You cannot dig a hole like that easily with a backhoe that will typically fit on a CUT because it is too deep compared to the opening size.

I will use my backhoe to dig all the trenches for the lightning protection grounds and coaxial cable. It is much more suited to that task. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-09-17          64197

Hey Guys,

Let's re-think this guy's question. If his tractor weighs 1716 pounds with another 742 pounds for the front end loader, why can't he put on a 7.5 hoe? His specifications on the weight are no different than on the B2910 weighing in at 1763 pounds plus the loader weight and the B2910 has a factory made 7.5 backhoe (BL4690A) according to the Kubota book. The only thing he doesn't have is the engine and PTO horsepower. He could add him some rear wheel weights and run a PTO pump plus a subframe and I think he would be just peachy keen. His biggest problem though is lack of engine and horsepower. But if he can't run a 7.5 backhoe then the B2910 can't either based strictly on weight because the weight numbers are nearly identical between the 8200 and the 2910. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-17          64201

Jeff, I went for the smaller hoe for the reason of the vintage and caution for the age of the tractor,against the backhoe. Was that model as good with the combo of a backhoe? Think about it as they didn't have factory power steering then! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-18          64230

It's a good question and questioning always is good in itself.

I was thinking that maybe the available work only would need a bigger hoe rarely and that a smaller hoe might be better for both tractors. There'll always be jobs that are better done by contractors no matter what tractor is owned. There'd also be a risk that trade-up plans might be delayed or changed and then you might have a hoe that wouldn't be great on any tractor available. I imagine that a 7.5 hoe would use bigger cylinders so operation might be unacceptably slow if run from the largest pump a small hp pto pump could manage. ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-09-18          64254

Art,

Yup, Art I know what you mean and I agree with you. But the guy already has a FEL on the tractor so power steering must not be that big a deal. I stated the scenario STRICTLY on the basis of WEIGHT. There are other factors as you have stated that make a 6.5 hoe better suited for his tractor, but in this case WEIGHT is a not a good basis for reasoning why he can't put on a 7.5 Hoe. Heck, my B2150HST weighs 1950 plus 650 for FEL and 300 for wheel weights. I have on a subframe mounted, PTO driven pump, and 1000 pound 7.5 backhoe. I think it matched excellent with my 4 cylinder 24 hp and 19.5 PTO hp diesel. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-18          64259

Jeff just another thought on weight. I've listened to people tell me how good weight is, well let me tell you if it's the wrong kind of weight then it's just as bad as us being overweight. The newer steels and casts are far stonger then that they made twenty or thirty years ago. You are right about the loader and the power steering and it would be easier with the b-hoe on. I think a lot of the new tractors are lighter then the old and with a better weight distribution they actually pull more. There is so much to the whole weight thing for performance it can baffle a lot of people. I took five hundred pounds off a poorly set-up farm tractor and the owner couldn't believe how much better the tractor performed. Now that I've said all that in the books Kubota did put a 7.5 ft hoe on that model!!! ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-19          64300

I also was thinking 3ph hoe, where small for the tractor is very good. For an upgrade idea with a sub-frame hoe, you'd want to make sure a sub-frame for the hoe is available for any tractor that might be purchased in the future. The hoe might end up limiting upgrade choices. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login