Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
cef2lion
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-21          62311

I recently got a JD 4410 with the 48 hoe. Just getting the hang of using the hoe. The other night I was moving away from a dig when I noticed the right rear tire was rubbing on the small step on the hoe. The steps are not very useful on the mid chassis compact since it is tucked in behind the tire.

In the garage on the level the step is still close to the tire on the right side. The left side gap is a bit larger than is used to be. The upper mounting pins are in for the hoe. It was dark last evening so I want to look at the lower mounting point tonight. I'm then going to drop the hoe off and make sure nothing is loose with the hoe mounting plates. I have a message into my Dealer to get his thoughts. I don't want to use it till I figure out what happened as the tire is getting scuffed a little.

Anyone else run into an issue like this?

Craig

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-21          62318

I have a 46 BH which has a different mounting system, but does do the same thing.

I find there is about 1/2 inch or a bit more of lateral movement in the rear mount. This causes the hoe to mount a little off center sometimes and it does get the step real close to the wheel.

I am probably going to devise some sort of shim to keep the hoe centered on the tractor. ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
cef2lion

2003-08-21          62321

Thanks for your input on your 46 hoe.

My Dealer got back to me and they are checking with Deere techs to see if this is a common issue and if they have a correction. He said in the mean time to un-mount the hoe and check the mounting plates and retorqued the bolts.

It would be nice if these steps were removable. If they didn't provide function for you application you could just take them off. Then again maybe mine are acting as mud and dirt scrapers for the tires.

If I or my Dealer find anything I will post back.

Craig ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-21          62363

Craig I have a 48 on a 4400 and everything is evenly spaced. Those steps are useless. I drop a stabilizer part way down and step up on that.

I can not see anyway they could screw up the mount.

Is one of your tires/wheels reversed?

They should both have the valve stems on the inside if turf or r4. Not sure how r1 gain width and would have to look up.

Your tires should be at the widest setting for the hoe. ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
cef2lion

2003-08-21          62402

I did some checking this evening. The R4 tires are in the wide mode. I could see the problem. The hoe had shifted over on it mounts towards the right tire. I dropped the hoe and put it back on and it was centered again. While it was off I made sure the mounts on the tractor were tight. I did trim a bit of an angle off those steps to give it a bit more clearance. You can't tell they were touched by looking at them. It seems fine now. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Craig ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
jeff r

2003-08-29          62863

I'd fire up a cutting torch and cut them off and re-paint the spot. Worthless things don't belong on tractors and steps that you can't use and are that close to the tires are worthless. ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
harvey

2003-09-14          63803

Craig Yesterday afternoon I was over at Boys (oldest son)house digging out a couple of trees over an embankment. Lower out rigger streched out all the way, top just barely out. Anyways real steep side slope and had to dig in several different positions. Backing in I had to keep the hoe turned up the slope and dipper streched out low as a counter weight.

My Hoe did not move on the mounts at all. I was watching because of your post. (The value of this site again).

Does yours still move? If so you ought to take a real hard look at it or go and beat the snot out of your service guys to make sure the mounting is right and is solid. ....

JD 48 Backhoe

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-14          63813

Harvey: I'm sure you know the safety stuff well. Maybe others don't. A safety note in my hoe manual says 'when working on side hills, always dump to the uphill side.' It took awhile for the sense of this to sink in and then I thought 'Oh yeah, Duh.' I shouldn't have even had to think about it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login