Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
circlediron
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-25          174166

I have lw 6 3 pt bhoe. why does the hyd fluid get so hot and why does the fluid over flow out of the filler pipe

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-25          174171

It flows out because liquids expand when hot, which is why you should leave "headspace" instead of filling to the top.

Can't tell why the heating or if it's overheating or normal but some info might help. Is it the same fluid that's used in the vehicle? Does the hoe's control-valve area get hot before the fluid seems to? Is it the right fluid? When did this start? Is it related to a specific kind of movement or will it heat just running? ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-09-25          174177

Circle;
I can't tell you for sure what is causing the fluid to get to hot, but a few thoughts.
As was said liquids expand when heated so if the sump of the system is overfilled it will come out somewhere and your fill cap is it's easiest escape.
Ok, now I'll assume a couple things.
1- The backhoe is powered by the hydraulic system of your tractor.
A - If so perhaps your tractors system was never designed to handle or cool the flow required for a backhoe.
B - If your tractor has a radiator to cool the hydraulic fluid perhaps the radiator is covered with trash or something restricting the airflow.
C - Possibly a valve is stuck in a partial position causing constant bypass by the high pressure relief valve. For example a stabilizer control valve.
D - A clogged filter in the tractor causing constant bypass.
2- The backhoe has it's own system powered by the PTO of the tractor.
A - I have limited experience with three point backhoes that have their own hydraulic system powered by the PTO. I think most of them use an oversize sump to allow a bit of fluid cooling while it is in the sump, I've never saw one with a fluid cooling radiatior, that doesn't mean there aren't some.
B - Again perhaps a stabilizer valve is stuck causing constant high pressure bypass.
C- A filter or screen is clogged.
D- A pinched or kinked hose or steel line causing a situation similar to a high pressure relief valve in a constant situation.

There are lots of other possibilitys that I've missed but perhaps this will give you a few things to check.
Frank. ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
52highcropA

2010-09-25          174188

I am looking at the same backhoe Is it been a good tool and what what else besided the heating problems have you noticed? ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
circlediron

2010-09-26          174193

I have had time to use the L w-6 only a couple times. It is a little jerky. It has quiet abit of power when digging but rather week when using the bucket to side shift and move dirt or object. It has been very dry in our area making it difficult to dig stumps. As soon as we get a little rain I intend to use the hoe more. ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
circlediron

2010-09-26          174194

Thanks Frank. Big help. ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-26          174203

I think you have a valve problem or restriction of some type. ....

3 point hitch backhoe

View my Photos
Duster

2013-05-23          187032

You didn't say if the hoe was powered by the tractor hydraulic system or PTO pump! I would rather use a hoe with a separate pump set up, they run much cooler. As said before, hydraulic oil expands when hot,the dip stick should have a Max mark on it, never go over it. Swing cylinders are not designed for sweeping side to side pushing piles of dirt. I ran a 6 yard twin engine 100 ton Hitachi hoe that was designed the same way, you could lightly sweep, but not heavy pushing to the side. Commercial units have oil coolers, 3 point tag ons do not. I have a 3 point hoe on the farm that works very well and I've run it all day at times digging ditches, it never got to hot to run. It has an external pump. Main thing about a 3 pt hoe is, make sure your tractor chassis/housing is externally braced to take the extra pressure a hoe puts on it! Many have been broken in half because of this overlook. PJ

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login