Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chains

View my Photos
Fred S. G.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-26          46608

I just got a quote of $440.oo for a set of chains to fit my 4300 wuth r4 tires. Does this sound about right? Anyone using a front mount snow blower on a compact? I am thinking of switching from the loader. Thanks, Fred

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chains

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-27          46614

I use a 3ph blower because I use the loader to pushing and stacking a lot even with the blower--but then I guess I only clear 500' of drive and several sizable parking areas.

I don't find my loader very useful for plowing the long runs if there's much snow. There are places especially in parking areas where the loader saves a bunch of time and wear and tear on the tractor by being able to blow one pass in reverse and plow the next pass going forward without turning around or maneuvering the tractor.

My tractor weighs about 3,000 lbs. not including the blower. It has 4wd and turfs. The clearing goes OK without tire chains.

Chains

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-27          46615

Tirechains.com is a good place to check prices. I got my chains for the TC29 there.
Bill ....

Link:   Tirechains for tractors

Chains

View my Photos
Gman

2002-12-31          46756

We run a 60" Erskine front mount blower. It works great for us. It is on a 1720. We tried using other blowers that had electric clutches, the clutch would burn up every year or so and we got sick of working on it. (not to mention the expense) The Erskine has a rear pto mount that works very well.

As for the tire chains... we have a set but dont use them. They came with the tractor and we put them on the first winter but we have to drive about 3 miles to get to some of the drives we blow out, so we have not put them on since then. We have had no traction problems. We put a box scraper on the back. It works great.

Gman ....

Chains

View my Photos
Fred S. G.

2002-12-31          46760

Thanks guys! Another JD Dealer is ordering a set of double ring chains for $230.00 for me. It sure beats the price of the other dealer. ....

Chains

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-01          46781

I've used chains on larger two wheel drive tractor/loader rigs, but they are miserable to drive down the road with. I've never had chains for my 4300 Deere MFWD/#430 loader and have got along just fine, plus you can go down the road in high gear. ....

Chains

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger

2003-01-06          47057

Last year I was asking about chains for my 4WD 5245 Zetor. I bought ice studded chains from tirechains.com They were about &750 for all four corners....but worth every penny. I have a 1000' driveway, steep, and without chains I could not drive up parts of it without sliding backwards...scarey indeed. The other night I spent 6 hours cleaning out over 2 feet of snow...the steep slopes are very slippery...I can't walk down them without landing on my butt...but never had any problems with the tractor. She's about 4.5 tons with the loader and backblade...and I'd buy those chains again in a heartbeat. And I'd never go out on the driveway in the winter without them. period. Threw away too many pairs of underwear last year! ....

Chains

View my Photos
turbo870

2003-01-10          47324

couldn't agree with bruce more. I don't know how much more advantage you get with chains on ags but with turfs it is everything. If you want a smoother ride weld in alot more cross links so there is about 2-3 inches between crosslinks. Better traction and ride. Run chains on all fours if 4wd and you can go through almost anything. ....

Chains

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-01-11          47377

Just mounted chains on the rears of X595. Two link ladder type, 26x12x12. They were $81 at the JD dealer. Also went to the Tirechains for Tractors website referenced above -- theirs was $90.36. Didn't check shipping but i'm guessing it would be 2x sales tax. So I was pretty happy; and there was no worrying whether the chains would fit.
I'm surprised that JD came in lower, but you just never know.
jim ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login