Go Bottom Go Bottom

Chains

View my Photos
vli
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-10-29          32732

any ideas on the best way to get these blasted chains on. I have a B5200 Kubota with turf tires and everyone has told me something different. Let the air out, jack the rear up but what ever I do I can only just get on the first link with the hook. Any ideas will be greatly welcomed.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Chains

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-10-29          32738

It sounds as though the chains are a bit too small. Buy a few extra links and add as needed until they fit. Or buy bigger chains $$$. ....

Chains

View my Photos
Bill

2001-10-29          32744

First lay the chains out of the garage floor and get all the teists and kinks out.

With the chains laid out and drive onto them and connect as tight as possible. Drive around the yard a couple times. Re-connect. This will usually allow you to gain another link or two. Finally, connect bungie straps in a triangular pattern on the inside and outside of the wheels. ....

Chains

View my Photos
vli

2001-11-01          32882

Bill, thank you for the advice. ....

Chains

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-11-02          32914

I do it slightly differently. I lay the chains out nice and neat next to the tractor and then jack the rear wheel up in the air a couple of inches. Next I drape the chains over the wheel and pull the ends as tightly toward each other as I can. If I can't get the inside latch to close, I pull it as close as possible with a couple of wraps of 12 or 14 gauge electrical wire that I seem to always have around the barn. I'll probably end up tying off both the inside and outside with this wire. Now I get up off my knees and - since the wheel is jacked up - I can rotate the tire without the chains falling off. Adjust the chains as you slowly rotate the tire and it will be surprising how much slack accumulates. I do this till the latches will close.....closing the inside one first.
Several more things: I leave my chains on all winter...and sometimes during the summer as well if I'm working in mud or rock. I don't take them on hard pavement. Expect that after a few seasons the chains will stretch out and be much easier to put on. I used to put on the spider web of rubber bands to pull them tight, but for the past couple of decades I just run them loose. The $30.00 per wheel that I spent extra to buy the best latches I could find has to be one of the times I was lucky enough to be smart. I still pat myself on the back whenever I look at those solid box latches with the smooth edges and heavy leverage. They don't cut the tire, close easily, and (probably) won't spring open. But I still lock the latches with duct tape or a twist of wire. Around here we put the chains on Thanksgiving week and take them off around the first of May. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login