Snow scraping: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Snow scraping: Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-29-2000, 00:00 Post: 12326
David Liberman

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Snow scraping

I am the only one in the neighborhood with a tractor so I want to scape about 3 miles of gravel roads. I am also a total novice at this. Should my blade have some runners on the bottom edge so I don't tear up the gravel? If so where does one get them? Any other pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.David

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-29-2000, 00:00 Post: 12333
Steve in Buffalo NY

Snow scraping

Two things to do when pushing snow with the bucket: 1- Dump it someplace occasionally. 2- Tilt the bucket back so the leading edge is just up (1"-2"Wink yeah right off of the raod. 3- Use the "float" position on the bucket lift so the bucket will just skid along and follow the contours of the road. Works fine for me that way. Have fun being the neighborhood hero!

01-30-2000, 00:00 Post: 12344
Tom G

Filter by User
 Snow scraping

The main thing about snow removal is planning where to put it so there's room for more, and making sure you don't dam up the drainage. Eventually it melts, and you don't want unexpected lakes.

If the blade is a loader bucket, plowing 3 miles might be a big job. I find that the snow doesn't clear off the front of the bucket very well. If there's much snow, I don't go too far before the bucket fills up, pushes the snow straight ahead and I bog down. Then, I have to dump the bucket. Slipping tires doesn't do anything for unfrozen gravel roads either. The technique described by Steve is what I do before the gravel freezes and when there's not enough snow to use a blower.

If the blade is a real blade and the gravel isn't frozen, then some practice might be in order. If it's a front blade, then you'll have to used to much less steering--true for a loader bucket as well. Some people comment that a back blade turned around and used in reverse works well, but you have to get used to driving backwards and may have to mount a rear work light.

More practice: A floated blade is likely to dig in. Skids probably help, but unless the gravel is well bedded, skids cut grooves and the blade will dig in anyway. At least the skids on my blower cut grooves. Well, I didn't go too far before deciding that blowing rocks 40' into the yard wasn't a good idea. Stuck with the loader bucket until the gravel froze.

The blade will certainly dig in if it's held several inches above the road and there are any hills or dips. You have to ride the lift control--something I haven't been too good at. Need more practice. I don't have a blade, but I'm guessing that skids might be helpful since they would give some warning that the blade should be lifted.

If you have draft control, a back blade with the control adjusted full light might work better than floating the blade. Well, you just have to try and see what works for you. However, don't worry too much if the gravel is frozen. Frozen gravel is pretty durable. I tried to get rid of some frozen rain on top of the gravel. Couldn't make a dint in the stuff. Going to put some chains on the truck and run over it a lot instead.

All in all, it should be fun if you've got the time. But, if I was planning to do 3 miles with a loader bucket, I'd think twice about giving iron clad guarantees when it would get done.

01-30-2000, 00:00 Post: 12357
David Liberman

Filter by User
 Snow scraping

I have been using a rear blade in the forward position but cocked off to one side so the snow goes off to the sides of the road. On the really packed snow I don't make a dent- just skid over it. As you mentioned the blade dips up and down in response to the road surface and I can see gravel being turned over. How much?????? I guess I will just have to develope a delicate touch on the lift control since I don't have draft control.

I have noticed plows on the front of pickups with "runners" but they are on pavement not gravel. That is what brought it to mind. Thanks.

David

David

01-30-2000, 00:00 Post: 12363
JJT

Snow scraping

3 miles of gravel with a loader - I'll bet you only do it once. My drive is 1000', plowed it for years with a truck. Recently switched to a Kubota L3710 with a blower. Works like a charm, no snow banks and you only handle the snow once. I will use the bucket to clean out the mail box and the garage doors and wood shed.

For 3 miles of gravel road - get a front mounted plow.

01-30-2000, 00:00 Post: 12365
David Liberman

Filter by User
 Snow scraping

Sorry I did not make it clear in my original posting. I have a front loader but I have been using a rear blade (Monroe-Tufline GB-1, five ft. width) in forward position for snow work.

David

01-31-2000, 00:00 Post: 12371
Tom G

Filter by User
 Snow scraping

David:

There was a post last summer that talked about skids on his blade cutting grooves in the gravel. A response said that he mounted small wheels instead of skids and the wheels didn't cut grooves. Didn't hear any more about it. I did check the idea out with a dealer. The dealer couldn't find wheel type skids in any assessory catalogue. Said they could fabricate some though.

If your floated blade rides over the snow, you could try adding some weight to the blade--sand bags or something. Haven't done it myself. Maybe somebody else has experience. Damage to the gravel would be increased though.

If you've been reading these boards, guess you know that some people turn their rear blades around and plow backwards. Suppose that's the only thing that could be done if you ever got a snow you couldn't drive through. Better traction and steering, and no packed tire tracks too.

Up here were the normal lows this time of year are near 0 F, gravel freezes as hard as any pavement so I don't have your problem. Guess I'm happy for that.

01-31-2000, 00:00 Post: 12380
MichaelSnyder

TP Contributor

Snow scraping

Dave,
First thing ya need to do is estimate how often you expect to plow snow, based upon snowfalls for your area. Of course, you have to expect years like this one where I've needed to plow snow almost every other day. Having a big expensive snow blower laying around for 10 months out of 12 is hardly worth while, unless you have the extra space, money, and can use it enough to get your money out of it...eventually. This year especially, I would LOVE a snowblower on my 4100. But this would be the first year I really could have used one in...OH say the past 3-4, maybe 5 years. A loader Blade from a maker like Curtis may be the best of both worlds. Definitey less costly, and it can be used in summer. Personnally, I'm satisfied with the loader/bucket combo.. Of course I'm used to operating a hand shovel for hours on end, so the loader is a god sent. I spray the inside of the bucket with that automotive "waterless" car wash stuff, to keep the snow from sticking to the bucket. Maybe if I lived in a snowbelt I would think differently, but I just can't justify a couple thousand dollars to have that extra margin of convenience once or twice a year. I'd rather buy an enclosed cab for the 20-40MPH winds we've been having lately. Besides, you said you have a rear blade, use this for cleaning up what the bucket leaves behind. And if you don't have a bucket level indicator..buy one. I marked mine with increments of 2", so I don't have to guess if my bucket is level or tilted/angled 2" or 4". OMO.

01-31-2000, 00:00 Post: 12398
Eben Morrow

Snow scraping

For what it is worth...Have used a 1050 with a Rhino LB pushing snow backwards for 16 years and except for occasional greater than 10-12 in snows worked fine for the few we get here in central VA. I bought an 8 ft Curtis snow blade 3 years ago and set it up for 75 loader on 1050. Installed it once for a marginally bladeable snow just because I had it. Hardly worth the trouble fooling with the pins and muscling things around to get them to fit. Just traded for 5310 and modified JD bale spear/pallet fork adapter with a simple adapter arrangement dealer and I came up with (and he threw in on the deal) for the Curtis blade. Have used it for several hours twice in the last week and the quick attach totally takes the effort out of switching. Found that with blade angled to right that if I keep the left skid shoe (which is set about 1/2 in below edge of blade) in the center of the gravel road I don't dig too much, in fact hardly at all. I then touch up with a back blade facing forward, angled about 30-35 degrees and pushing backwards. It does stir up the gravel a bit but it packs back down (a possible advantage is that the stirred up gravel mixes with snow, darkens it and helps it melt). I am now using a heavier blade (Gill 84 -wish I had gotten a 96) and it does a better job touching up than the lighter Rhino. Admittedly, this backwards pushing takes getting used to but it ain't too much worse than watching hay equipment on hilly ground. Eben

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Thread 12326 Filter by Poster:
David Liberman 3 | Eben Morrow 1 | JJT 1 | MichaelSnyder 1 | Steve in Buffalo NY 1 | Tom G 2 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
EBGwd1959

Mitsubishi - Satoh Beaver 3 pt hitch connection
Satoh Beaver 3 pt hitch connection

Unanswered Questions

Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari
Gear Grinding 1200A - primary
Replacing a friction diskwashe
Bolens k1502 mitsubishi K3 ove

Active Subjects

Where Murf
Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
Operation
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Still have jerk in hydro
Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Hydraulics Won t Work

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade
+ 3pt Snowblower Brands
+ 3 point snow blowers
+ McKee Snowblower Chute Operation
+ 3 pt to front mount
+ Woods SB72 Snowblower
+ Front End Snowblower vs 3 PH Rear Mounted Snowblo
+ Kubota B2782 snowblower 63 front mount
+ Garden tractor with snowblower