Go Bottom Go Bottom

Table Saw Corrosion

View my Photos
NHDaveD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-26          112790

My 10 inch table saw hasn't been used for a while and I needed to use it for a couple of projects. I just unburied it and found that there was some surface rust in places on the cast iron table.

I removed as much as possible with steel wool, sand paper, and scotchbrite. I was able to use the saw but, I can still see the corrosion "shadows".

Knowing that the table is porous will the corrosion keep coming to the surface? Does anyone have any good methods for removing the corrosion, stopping its advancement, and preventing it from coming back?

Appreciate the help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Table Saw Corrosion

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-26          112793

Once you have it cleaned up try using a silicone spray lubricant on the table. Not only does that make things work much easier, but also seems to leave a protective film while not in use. I don't know how it ranks on the quality ladder but CRC brand was always my favorite because it seemed to dry almost instantly and not leave a residue on what you were sawing. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Table Saw Corrosion

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-26          112802

Spray some Boeshield T-9 on it when you are finished using it and put it up for a lengthy time. I use it on many of my tools and implements to keep them from rusting. ....

Link:   Boeshield T-9

Table Saw Corrosion

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2005-06-27          112819

Frank and Randy thanks for the advice. Both methods look like they will work great. You've answered one of my main concerns whether or not there would be any residue from the spray that would get on the work being cut. I wonder if you can keep the Boeshield on even when you are using the saw?

Thanks again.
Dave ....

Table Saw Corrosion

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-02-24          125090

I was looking for a electric question I had and came acrossed this topic heading. I had the same problem (thanks for the answers) I had cleaned my saw up also, and then I used it, cleaning it with laquer thinner before using it. I then sprayed it down with a rust prehibitor. What a mistake! A few weeks later, I had anouther project! Guess what I was doing again? CLEANING it again. The residue from the rust prehibitor was unreal and a pain in the -- - to get completely off as so NOT to stain the wood. This time I did not put as much on it. Guess what I need to do this coming week? LOL. I will be looking into your answers asap for the next storage solution.
Thanks fellas ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login