Go Bottom Go Bottom

Electrical Problem

View my Photos
Shibaura2843
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-29          179218

Just fixed the hydraulic issue now the darn thing won't start. I turn the key to start, watch the dash light up, fuel needle rotates right and then I turn her over...except it clicks and then everything dies electrically - Nothing!! I wait a few minutes and repeat again. I put the battery on the charger overnight and the charger says it's at 100%. Is this my glow plug, starter ??? :-(

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Electrical Problem

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-30          179219

Does not sound like a glow plug issue. First begin with the basics,the battery cables. Check to be sure tight on all ends. If tight take them off especially the battery end and clean them and the post. They must make solid connection. The next thing I would check is the starter solenoid. The positive (red) cable should run to it. They will fail and producing a clicking sound. If you have a way to check voltage test to see if voltage is coming out to starter side when in start position. If that is good may be the starter. Now still check the cables connections but have you tried using another battery and jumper cables? I would first try hooking at the battery so all cables are included. If still clicks only then try to hook directly to the battery side of the solenoid. If still only clicks then you may wish to try directly to the starter. Do note there will be a major arc when that circuit is completed and can damage the post on the starter. To prevent that hook the cable there first and use the negative to touch a safe metal on the frame. If you still get clicking..starter most likely. NOTE OF MAJOR WARNING: testing using jumper cable by passes the safety switches...the tractor can crank in gear or with PTO engage and so forth...if you are going to do this you be 100% and then check again it is safe.

My guess is you will find the battery cables need cleaning. The first thing you should do is try cranking with the headlights on...do they totally go out, do they not dim, or do they dim some. If they totally go out check cables and battery. (doubt your charger can test the battery) If they do not dim doubt power is getting to the starter. They dim a good bit then the systems is pulling power and my guess is starter. ....

Electrical Problem

View my Photos
Shibaura2843

2011-06-30          179238

Thanks K, I am going to spend tomorrow trying what you suggest. I have a feeling it is the starter. I'll start with checking cable tightness and then trace everything down to the starter and check the connection. If necessary, I'll pull the starter and test it on the bench. The battery sits in the nose and is so hard to pull in the position the bucket is in. I will probably have to remove the hood completely so I can pull the battery straight up. Thanks again. I'll keep you posted. ....

Electrical Problem

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-07-01          179248

I had a battery I pulled and took to two different dealerships to have tested just knowing it was bad a few months back. Both said your battery is great. It took a true battery cable tool to cut the film out of the cables that was preventing metal to metal connection so the electricity could flow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login