Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 1900 By Shibaura 4 Wheel Drive Doen t Work

View my Photos
Tom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-26          14196

I recently purchased a Ford 1900 (Made by Shibuara) Four Wheel Drive. Thirty horsepower. The tractor has only 600 hours of use and is about 20 years old. The tractor run perfect and all other mechanical features work fine. When the four wheel drive selector is engaged the drive shaft turns but still no power in the front wheels. It does not make any noise. Is this an easily corrected problem or is something more serious involved. Any solutions are appeciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-27          14202

Unless your tractor is equipped with 'locking' front hubs like a 4x4 pickup the front drive shaft will ALWAYS turn whether it is in 4wd or 2wd. The front wheels will turn the shaft from the rotation as you travel. The only way to really tell is to lift the machine up and check if the gears really do engage or not. It could be something as simple as the internal shift linkage out of place or the shift fork bent. On the other hand, does your machine have turf tires on it, we had a lot of machines around here (Toronto) that a local City Gov. used to own that had no working front drive anymore. It seems some bright employee thought $300 for a 212/80R-15 (front turf) was too much so they put 185/75R-15's from car on them instead. In about 200hrs of use the front drive mechanism was TOAST. Kubota refused to warranty them so they auctioned them off with the front gears missing. Give more details, maybe we can help. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Tom

2000-03-27          14203

Thanks for the quick response. The front tires have lug type farm tractor tires on the front, same as the rear.

I had thought the drive shaft should turn all the time to, however, when I shift the 4X4 lever to the out position, the drive shaft quits turning. When I shift it in it turns. Evidently, that is telling us something. Its something in the front Hub thats not engaging or the drive shaft would be turning all the type, just by the rotation of front wheels. Any additional thoughts appreciated. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-03-27          14208

You are right that the driveshaft SHOULD be turning all the time. However if it is not, then yes, the problem is in the front end. This is not a god thing, but it is not always serious either. It has been known for the pinion on which the gear rides to fall out of place if the retainer was not installed at the factory properly. Do you know anything of the history of this machine? Try the dealer nearest the seller, or look for a dealer's sticker on the machine itself. It is not unknown for someone to be facing a big repair bill to dump the machine and buy a new one instead, if this is the case the dealer will have already diagnosed the problem, and may have the parts in stock in anticipation of getting the job. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Tom

2000-03-27          14209

Thanks for the reply. I knew the front wheel drive didn't work when I bought it. I couldn't go wrong on it. I only paid $3000.00 and got a grooming mower and heavy dual 3 point blade. It is a very nice tractor except for the frontend. It sat outside and the paint in faded. I got it from an apartment complex and the fellows there didn't know much about the tractor. It was there when they took over. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2000-03-27          14214

Look for a sticker from the dealer that ORIGINALLY sold it, chances are thats who (if anyone) looked at it when it broke. There is very little in the front-end that can go wrong, the most common thing is the universal joints, if you turn the front wheels full to one side then hit the gas they will go very easily. They are a pain to change but not impossible. ....

View my Photos
RCH

2000-03-27          14217

Could be a broken axle; put it in gear and engage the 4 wheel drive. With the motor off,jack up one wheel at a time,if one turns that side is broke, if they both turn your're broke in the central part of the differential or, as Murf states, it's not all there. ....

View my Photos
Tom

2000-03-27          14218

Thanks for the good info guys. I'm going to jack the front end up and see what I can see from there. I appreciate all the help. ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-03-27          14223

I posted earlier on your other post in Mechanical Matters....in any case I was wondering, if you are new to tractors, if maybe you were looking at the pto shaft and engaging the pto lever. If the guy you bought it from didnt know much about it and the stickers were missing he might have showed you the wrong lever.

I was wondering this because I have a Ford 1500 and dont recall off hand being able to see the drive shaft...I think it might be enclosed...and they are the same basic tractor. Cant run out to check tho cause the tractor is at camp.

This post will be exceptionally embarassing if you do know where the PTO shaft is :-)

But just in case you don't on this series tractor the 4wd lever is a much smaller lever to the right of the PTO lever.

Good Luck, pulling the wrong lever is the simplest fix of all :-)

View my Photos
Tom

2000-03-27          14225

Thanks Kim for the reply. I wish it was as simple as the 4 wheel not being engaged. I'm pretty familar with tractors I grew up on a farm, but haven't did any farming for 30 years and we didn't have four wheel drives then. The PTO lever is located on the left side under the seat. It does have a two speed PTO. I'm not sure which position is the 540 though. Forward or to the rear. If anyone knows which way would be helpful. The four wheel drive level is located in front of the seat on top of the transmission. Thanks again. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-03-27          14232

This is fun.... Coming into a thread when most of the diagnostic work is already done. I gotta say that Murph's thought has sure got me thinking that maybe the front end is missing some internal parts. That would be a simple explanation that would fit the facts. Whoa! Do you suppose that your JD dealer might have some old front axles that would work? :-) ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-03-28          14234

Tom. I will check the repair manual I have...it will be a couple of days tho. But I can tell you with certainty that on the 1500 the lever just under and in front of the seat is the PTO lever. The lever that comes out the left side of the same housing is the Creeper gear which was an option and missig on my tractor, and the 4wd lever definitely comes out the right side of this same housing.

Good Luck

Kim ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-03-28          14235

Tom...the repair manual I have covers the 1300-1500 and the 1700-1900. Boy I wish I had it with me right now, of course I have paid the most attention to the 1500 section but I am almost certain that the 1900 did not have a two speed PTO as an option, it did have (as did the rest of the series) a two speed rear axle and the engage lever for that did come out of the left side of the control cluster in front of the seat. The PTO lever is a fairly large lever directly in front of the seat coming out of this control cluster and the 4wd engage lever is to the right. This is a blue Ford right and not the Shibarau similar tractor?

Hope this is helpful and I will be back at camp tonight I think and will bring the manual back with me if you have any questions.

Kim ....

View my Photos
Kim Hartshorn

2000-03-30          14299

Tom, I looked in the manual in the 1900 section and found some things that you probably already knew, and some that might be helpful. The PTO shaft is the long lever that comes up the left side of the transmission. Directly in front of the seat on top of the transmission case is a raised housing. If there is a lever that comes off the left side of that housing it is for the two speed rear axle (a nice feature) the lever off the right side of that housing is for the 4wd. The shaft to the front differential is enclosed inside of a pipe. If that pipe is missing it would be evidence that someone had been messing with the 4wd drive train at some point in the past and didnt put it all back together...which could be a bad sign. There is one more possiblitly...there might have been a problem, or perhaps still is in one of the final drives...the gearbox between the differential and each front wheel inside of the big bulb at the end of the trumpet. Perhaps one of these crunched up and somebody removed the pieces. The result would be that the differential would turn the axle with the least resistance...which in this case would be the one with the final drive removed. As I sit here trying to think this through...If that was the case I think if you turned the other wheel when not in 4wd...since the drive train would offer more resistance than the missing final drive....that rolling the tractor would have the result of turning the opposite axle in reverse and not driving the drive shaft.

Good luck...and look for used parts :-)

Kim Hartshorn

View my Photos
Tom

2000-03-30          14302

Thanks for the reply. I did look the drive shaft and front differential over last night. It looks pretty simple to pull off. I'm going to pull the pinon and look in and see what I can see. That should only take a couple of bolts to pull off. When I rotate the front wheel the wheel on the other side turns. I would think the axles and spider gears are OK. If it was the ring gear and pinon you would think it would make some kind of noise. Hopefully it may be a shear pin inside the collar where the drive shaft hooks up to the pinion. It odd but the drive shaft does not have any U Joints. It is a straight drive shaft from the transmission to the front differential. It has a carrier bearing where the driveshaft and pinion shaft meet.

Hopefully, I will have a better idea when I pull the drive shaft and pinion this weekend. I'll let you know what I find. ....

View my Photos
gary hagemann

2000-05-04          15446

Don't want to interject bad news but here goes, I had a 1300 that had the same symptoms. I had this tractor for several years and one day (just as I was starting to market it for sale) the FWA would not work. The wheels rotated like you described, but when you turned the drive shaft only one wheel would turn. This was not totally unexpected, but..... I decided to pull the front end and after I realized that I could not split the pumpkin, I took the front end to my very good local dealer. The repair was not pretty, $1500 to be exact, I recall that maybe $200 was labor, one ring gear alone was $550. Regardless, if you paid $3K for the tractor, a $1500 bill is not that hard to swallow. Just price the new ones and what this tractor would bring on the market.

Good Luck

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login