Go Bottom Go Bottom

tiller size

View my Photos
davidw
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-04-13          2784

hello! I'll be purchasing a tiller for a JD855 within the next month. I'm getting various opinions about appropriate size. John Deere makes a model 550 tiller which is 5' wide, one of my trusted friends suggested that I would have trouble handling this with a small tractor and the tractor would wear heavily as a result. He suggested finding a 4' tiller. so..what do you folks think?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tiller size

View my Photos
Brent

1999-04-13          2788

An 855 will handle it. If you are worried about premature wear think about this.How often will you use the tiller? Once a year to till your garden? Maybe again in the fall to till under your garden? Or do you plan on going in to the garden tilling business and putting about 500 hours a summer on the tiller and tractor?I think you will be OK with the 5 footer.Brent ....

tiller size

View my Photos
Gene

1999-04-13          2789

I'm running a JD550 behind my JD650 tractor- 14.5 pto hp. I'm in fairly good soil without a lot of rocks. Under these conditions, this small tractor handlesthe tiller with no problems. But I can tell when I hit good-sized rocks becausethe whole rig bounces. So I agree with Brent. I think your tractor will handlethis tiller fine, unless you are planning to run in very severe conditions likerocky soil, or in a business. The advantage of the 5 ft width is that the tilleralways covers your tire tracks. The 550 can also be offset to get extra closeto fences or trees if you have extra wide tires. ....

tiller size

View my Photos
davidw

1999-04-13          2793

thanks for the comments--let me add details of my intended use for the tiller: I will use it for tilling up a market garden spring and fall, for tilling under cover crops several times per year, work will be done on approx 5 acres of decent soil (not too clayey) ranging from moderately rocky to very rocky. I don't plan to use it to till others' land/gardens. ....

tiller size

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-04-13          2807

The JD 550 tiller has an actual working width of 50 inches--not 60 inches. It is a good match for the 855. ....

tiller size

View my Photos

1999-04-13          2834

David, if you go through the expense of a tiller go out and buy a 3-point ripper shank unit. I use a 6-prong one on my JD870. I use it to bring up the rocks before I till and it helps to loosen compacted soil. It really saves your tiller wear and tear from rocks and concrete-like soils. ....

tiller size

View my Photos

1999-04-14          2891

I bought a JD550 tiller for JD755 tractor(with turf tires) and have been very happy so far. On several occasions I have had to use 4WD instead of 2WD while tilling. Hope this helps. ....

tiller size

View my Photos
dana

1999-08-08          6740

tell me more about this ripper unit. is it on the tractor or the tiller? ....

tiller size

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-02-17          12922

He's talking about a single ripper tooth to mount on your 3 pt hitch. The units are sometimes sold as a subsoiler and run about $100. Check the web sites for Northern Tools, Tractor Supply Co. or Worksaver. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login